Dry Heaves for past 3 days...please help!

lhollywood
on 7/7/11 4:58 am
 First off I will tell you that I am just finishing up my time of the month...not sure if that makes any difference.  Since Tuesday I have been having very intense back pain, dry heaves at least once an hour and just an overall weak feeling.  I have only been able to keep my water down for the most part because I am not wanting to become dehydrated.  I have hardly had anything to eat in the past 3 days.  I've had a few bites of soup that have managed to stay down, but my shakes come right back up. I'm waiting to here back from the surgeons office as to whether this is a serious issue or just a little bit of pouch upset.   And I'm not sure if the back pain is due to constant dry heaving or not.  At first I thought it was gas, and got out the gas-x strips, with no relief.   I got sent home from work today due to the dry heaving,(I'm a nurse and work with moms and babies)  and other than that I'm ok. I know I'm not contagious...  Just kinda sore.  Any suggestions of what I can try to do to relieve this or from someone with similar experiences would be appreciated.
 "Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be..."              
(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 5:09 am - TX
Honestly sounds like it could be a stomach virus of some sort, but I would definitely call the doc and make sure you don't get dehydrated on top of it all.
poet_kelly
on 7/7/11 5:11 am - OH
I'd ask the doc for a prescription for something for nausea.

The fact that you haven't been able to eat much for a few days isn't a real big deal as long as you are staying hydrated, but you don't want to go too long without getting your protein.

I'd also try eating very small amounts frequently, like three or four bites of soup every hour or something.  If crackers stay down, eat three or four crackers once an hour.  Crackers aren't the best thing to eat all the time, but for a couple days won't hurt you.  But eating a little bit real often sometimes helps.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

totmom1234
on 7/7/11 7:08 am
I agree with Kelly. Anti-nausea meds were my best friend for the first couple of months.  My nausea was especially bad first thing in the morning.  Zofran and warm tea helped a lot.  Before I got those in my system, I couldn't even think about food.  This will pass.  But like Kelly said, try to eat a little something. Sometimes going too long without food can actually lead to more nausea.  It's a vicious circle!

HW: 270/ CW: 139.0/ GW: 135
40 lbs lost prior to surgery
RNY surgery date: 1-19-11

lhollywood
on 7/7/11 11:37 am
 Thank you all so much!  My surgeon's office ended up calling me back and saying it sounded like an ulcer to them... And then I was informed I was supposed to be on something like prilosec for 6months after surgery.  Which I hadn't been told beforehand...so I had a script called in for carafate and a proton pump inhibitor.  I was also told that if this doesn't help over the weekend to call back and possibly get a scope done next week.    Once again I appreciate all your input. :)
 "Maybe the past is like an anchor holding us back. Maybe, you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be..."              
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 187 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 113 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 187 views