Encouragement please!

Lisa R.
on 7/14/11 6:57 am - CA
So, since about week 2 I have been exercising at least 3xs a week and later out 5 to 6 days a week for almost an hour a day.

On July 5th my knee started to act up, I don't know what the hell is wrong with it!  It is swollen and I can't bend it and when I even turn my leg a little it feels like I am over extending the joint.  It went away while I was in Nebraska last weekend but when I came home to California it came back...grrr!

I am going to the doctor today at 3pm to find out what the heck this is.

BUT!!  I can't exercise.  Will I still lose weight?  Please tell me there are people out there who don't do much exercise but still lose, and if so how much calories do you eat in a day cause I don't want to gain weight.  I am only 10 weeks out, had surgery on May 2nd.

Thanks!!! 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
LBinSC0712
on 7/14/11 7:02 am
You will still lose weight!  Of course the exercise helps to lose the weight but you will still lose with out.  I think starting the excercise when your early out helps prepare you for later on when the weight does not come off as quickly and you are able to eat more.  I could be totally wrong - but thats my thoughts.

Hope your knee feels better soon!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/14/11 7:04 am - OH
I have severe tri-compartmental arthritis in one knee (and moderate in the other) so was somewhat limited since day one post-op on how much (and what types of exercise), but I still lost 185 pounds.  I did a huge exercise push about a year ago to try to drop an additional 10 pounds (to get from my surgeon's goal to my "wishful thinking" goal) and really aggravated my knee so now I am even more limited, but I am still maintaining a 180 pound loss (within 5-7 pounds of my surgeon's goal weight) even without the exercise.... you just have to be a little more diligent about what you eat.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Proudtobaloser
on 7/14/11 7:05 am - Fayetteville, NC
The exercise question would be one I would ask the doctor about. I know I am gunna sound like a crazy person BUT it could be differences in altitudes or pressures that could be affecting it. Or you could have done something you aren't aware of. Just ask your doctor to be on the safe side. When mine swells up (the right side and the ankle at the same time) I very gingerly walk around trying to get it to stretch, hurts like HELL. I will sit on my stairs and push up to the next with my god leg then back down. Just make sure you have a rail or something to hold on to (do not want to slip and hurt yourself worse). But ask the doc to be safe.

As a single person we make but a whisper, as a crowd we make a roar. A friend.
"I never claimed to be an expert at such matters, but I am an expert at giving my opinion."- My dad

tcunningham
on 7/14/11 7:06 am - Bay Minette, AL

Just want to reassure you thay you will still lose weight, calorie wise someone else would have to answer that question. Sorry about you knee, praying you have a speedy recovery.

Timeka

MarilynT
on 7/14/11 7:39 am
I lost every pound without a lick of exercise.

I do exercise now, but I did it to improve my overall health and to (hopefully) help me age gracefully.

Sure hope you feel better soon.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

lynnc99
on 7/14/11 11:09 am
Good luck with the knee! After a year of faithful exercising, I had to take 2 months off because of a knee injury - I tore the meniscus which hurt a lot and in a number of different ways. Ended up with some arthroscopic surgery and the orthopedist said that I do have joint degeneration, most likely from years of carrying so much weight.

It's fine now though, and I find that the more active I am, the better the knee feels.
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 164 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics