Odd clothes shopping experience; reaction to "plus" dept

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/13/11 10:38 am, edited 7/13/11 10:38 am - OH
I was in Walmart today and needed an inexpensive white v-neck t-shirt, so I was pushing my cart from the food section into the women's clothing area.  The path took me directly through the plus size area.  As I was walking through, only half paying attention to what I was seeing (just to see when the "plus" changed to regular sizes), I had an intense negative reaction... I almost physically shuddered.  I cannot even pinpoint the exact emotion... just that it was almost a revulsion.  The only actual thought I had was "thank God I do not have to buy plus size clothes anymore"... but the emotion was SO negative.  I will be 4 years out next month and have walked through plus size departments in Walmart, Macy's, etc., dozens of times since I have been able to fit into normal sizes, and I have never had such a reaction.  It was rather unsettling.

I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has had anything like this happen.

Lora
p.s. got the t-shirt for $4!!!!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

fiveholts714
on 7/13/11 10:48 am - St. George, UT
I've never felt quite like you did but I've been glad to shop for regular sizes. Bt it is hard sometimes to remember to not go to the plus sizes. It really is wonderful to not be so limited in clothing choices. I spent most of my adult and teenage years so limited - I can remember panicking if we needed a certain clothing item for school or band or anything- if the fat store didnt happen to carry that item I was out of luck.

If you are early out or on the liquid diet and wondering if this is worth it...it is. In fact, prep I went to JCP and bought their largest size of regular panties. I knew if I ever into those then i had made it.
Tina A.
on 7/13/11 10:50 am - NY
We have minds like elephants, it takes a small trigger to induce a cascade of memories, positive or negative. I'm nowhere near your accomplishment (1 wk post op) but I often wonder if the journey out of obesity can cause post traumatic stress syndrome...or something to that effect. I am still obese and I am certain that there is nothing joyful or positive about living in an obese body. Thus, I anticipate that my obesity will haunt me for a lifetime...in varying degrees that will hopefully diminish over time. I am pretty sure that this won't be your last experience, the mind is too skillful in its ability to recall. Thank you for sharing.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/14/11 6:54 am - OH
I'm sure you're right.  I have had things trigger certain memories and feelings from a lifetime of obesity, and I know they nwill continue to do so.  In some ways that's good, though... the memory of the negative aspects of life as a SMO person is a good motivation to keep my weight under control.

I just have never expreience such a strong reaction or one from just CLOTHES.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

exohexoh
on 7/13/11 12:16 pm - West Chester, PA
 i actually had the same reaction at walmart yesterday lol. i'm nowhere near as far out as you are and from your picture no where near as tiny, but me and my mom got in line and then she realized she forgot something so i just waited with the cart behind the registers which happened to be in front of the plus size section. the first shirt on the rack next to me was a 3x which was what i was wearing a year ago and i was just incredibly disgusted that that was what i was wearing. my mood changed for the rest of the day because of it

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/11 12:34 pm - TX
I have very much felt that, and recently. For me, its the unfairness of it all - so so many years I spent wearing clothes I absolutely hated....they always looked so matronly and ugly to me and never fit right, and the selection on the other side, even at Wal-mart, was always better.
Laura in Texas
on 7/13/11 1:02 pm
Interesting how our feelings can emerge when we don't even expect it. I'll admit I don't pay attention when I'm in Wal Mart and they always switch things around, so I often walk by clothes, looking for something inexpensive. I often can't tell that something is plus-sized until I look at the labels. I just shrug it off and move on. My reaction is not negative, but I do feel confused- like I should have known by looking at the clothes.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

lasolas
on 7/13/11 1:33 pm
RNY on 09/27/10 with
I am being unsettled by some of the rushes of negative feelings I get related to obesity now that I'm "less obese." I'm careful that I don't turn into a "hater" of all things obese and obesity-related. How does the song go?: "If you ever played a part, how could you turn around and hate it?" I make sure to turn the disgust back onto myself and never let myself stay with the feeling of "how can those people eat so much?" or "look at that huge pair of underwear" --- etc. There but for the grace of god and my WLS (& insurer), go I.

SweetGirl11
on 7/13/11 8:16 pm
Lora, WTG on the $4 t-shirt!  Good shopping!  

I totally relate to what you experienced.  I feel terrible saying this, but I get the "revulsion" feeling quite often with ANYTHING related to obesity.  I feel so guilty when I feel these feelings, especially towards people.  I think it is the reality check that I used to be that obese.  I am horrified when I realize that I used to weigh as much as an average football player.  

Michelle    (OH member since 2004 - new user name)

HW 285 / SW 270 / GW 140 / LW 135 / CW 185

RNY 6/8/2009  
Starting size 26/28, now size 12/14

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  -Hebrews 13:8

nancy409
on 7/13/11 10:57 pm - PA
I am only 3 months out but have made it to "regular" size clothing and know what you mean by having a negative reaction to the plus size clothers.  I don't have a revulsion to people that need to wear that size but a revulsion that I allowed myself to get to that size.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 204 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 20 views
Recent Topics