I'm sick for the first time since surgery & I'm not sure what I can/cannot take...

CRAZY_BEAUTiFUL
on 7/16/11 5:15 am - Newark, DE
I'm not sure if its allergies or a cold or what, but yesterday I had a sore throat & woke up with a sore throat today. I took Tylenol Multi-Symptom Severe caplets (just happened to have it in my medicine cabinet) & it did nothing. I just found that I bought the same exact medication in liquid form, would the liquid form work better? Could I possibly not be absorbing the caplets properly because of the WLS? Also, I used Zicam nasal spray for allergies & it also did nothing. I can't stop sneezing, my nose is running like water & my throat is still a bit irritated. I basically feel like my head is a big blob. Anyone have any suggestions for me? I really feel like crap.
poet_kelly
on 7/16/11 6:29 am - OH
The liquid might work better but probably not.  If the Tylenol isn't helping, you may need to call your doc tomorrow.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lynnc99
on 7/16/11 6:39 am
Day Quil caplets work for me and are safe for us to use. I also use Zicam but its intention is to shorten the duration of a cold, not to relieve symptoms. Good luck!
tbartz
on 7/16/11 8:00 am
I am fighting the same battle... called the surgeon ofice and they said anything Tylenol brand I can take... other then that stay away.... when I see my surgeon again I am going to ask about what allergy med I can take cause tylenol just doesn't cut it....

Bkritty
on 7/16/11 9:27 am
I had the same symptoms and finally dragged myself to the ER today and I tested positive for strep throat. I woke up with the sore throat and assumed it was from running the ac at night but it  wasn't getting any better. You may need antibiotics depending on what it is. I would get checked out as soon as possible instead of suffering unnecessarily while you try to self diagnose like me! Hope you feel better soon! :(

Kristie

(deactivated member)
on 7/16/11 11:10 pm - TX
I just got over a two week bout that started with allergies and ended up with pneumonia. When I first went to the doc he gave me steroids, an antihistamine, and antibiotics. Four days later I was horribly sick. That particular doctor (my normal family practice doc) felt like the RNY was keeping me from absorbing the meds properly. After two days of IV antibiotics I had a huge improvement, then he prescribed liquid antibiotics to follow up. I am ok now.

My surgeon disagreed that I wasn't absorbing the meds. But I think maybe I was to a lesser degree than I normally would have, you know? I have allergies year round and often get sinus infections but they never progress to pneumonia.
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 1:52 am
For the runny nose, you can use Sudafed (or generic form) to dry up the snot... it doesn't CURE anything, but does help you to manage the symptoms.  I seem to be the human barometer and whenever the weather changes, I get killer throbbing headaches and my nose starts running like mad.  If I just take Tylenol (or a prescription pain killer), it doesn't stop the headache... but add the Sudafed, and it's gone in half an hour.  The stuff is a godsend for me...

I'm sure it'll at least help your nose be less plugged up as you work through the sickness... hope you feel better soon!

tori
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 561 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 547 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 11 views