timelines....complications...

gochristy1971
on 7/19/11 4:51 am - CA
Is there ever a time when we, as post-ops, are "out of the woods" or safe from complications?  Like, the farther out from surgery we get, the less likely anything is going to happen?  For example, aren't strictures more common early on?  I know we are at risk for a lifetime of deficiencies and such, but do you feel that once you are past a certain point, you are "safe"?
Christy
Weights: Surgery 317 Current 242 GW ???
Pupcake !.
on 7/19/11 4:59 am - Stranded in, IA

No.

There are just different complications

Pup

No surgery has been harmed/defamed by the writer of this post.  
RNY 10/28/03 305# 8/11/04 147#  9 years out and >75% EWL!

M M
on 7/19/11 5:00 am
 At some point you may feel that you're living more "normally" and the anxiety of potential complications lessens.  You are at risk for any number of complications for-ever, yes... but the risks are usually low, and the longer you go without a problem, you may feel better about it.

That's not to say you shouldn't jump on an issue when you feel that something is wrong -- particularly if you have a new vastly different gut pain -- or something.  Bowel obstructions happen. It's just part of post op life... you will hear horror stories of every potential kind -- and that may also make you worry -- but decide what is important to you and pay attention to your body.
poet_kelly
on 7/19/11 5:52 am - OH
I think that vitamin deficiencies are probably more common as we get further out, but most other things would be less common.

Strictures generally only happen in the first couple months.  Gall stones in the first year or so (unless you develop them later but no related to WLS, so therefore not really a complication, if that makes sense).  I guess ulcers could happen at any time.  Reactive hypoglycemia seems more common a year or two out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ready_2_live
on 7/19/11 8:06 am - Niceville, FL
 Hey, wouldn't that be great?? To be able to say, okay I'm X amount of months or years out from WLS and so now I am "safe"! But unfortunately, life doesn't work that way for WLS or non-WLS people. For instance, healthy people that take really good care of themselves and have never taken so much as a puff off a cigarette, yet they end up with lung cancer...go figure.

So...as someone who has taken very good care of herself and still ended up with a stricture, an ulcer and gallbladder surgery (just yesterday) since my RNY in Feb 2010, I choose to view  these complications as mere bumps in the road on my lifelong journey to optimum health, since in reality we really have no control over what happens.  I try to focus on the things I CAN control (taking my vitamins, eating healtfully, etc) and hope for the best! 
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 255 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 365 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 152 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 245 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 134 views
Recent Topics