Even if you hate Isopure protein water, try the smoothies!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/11 9:38 am - OH
I despise the Isopure protein waters.  (Well, to be fair, I did 4 years ago... the aftertaste was vile and it made your tongue feel like it was coated with something that was going to eat through it... but a couple of people have indicated that they ahve been changed since then.  They were so disgusting that I'm not willing to try another one to find out.)  Anyway... I have now tried all three flavors of the Isopure protein smoothies and -- despite getting one with a strange after taste (it was BOGO-free, and it MAY have been on sale because it was approaching an expiration date) -- I like all three of them! 

They have 32g of protein in 16 oz. plastic bottles.  Because of the fruit content, they are higher in calories (~200), carbs (~15), and sugar (~9) than your average protein shake (the stats vary slightly form one flavor to another) and therefore may not be appropriate for those who are early-out, but they are thinner than you would expect from a "smoothie" (and therefore are very drinkable), have no protein smell or taste that I could detect (but I am not particularly sensitive to protein smell). 

Given how much I HATE the protein waters (with the gross protein sometimes visibly floating in the bottom of the bottle), I am VERY surprised at how much I like these!  They are especially good very cold.  I only drink protein drinks very occasionally since I am so far out, but these have now surpassed the Oh Yeah! chocolate shakes and are at least tied with the Cytosport Tangerine protein water as my favorite RTD.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

M M
on 7/19/11 10:04 am
 AGREED.  LOVE!

DSC_5699

Is a protein drink a ray of sunshine in an otherwise bleak world?  

Sort of.  

It is February, it is freezing, I have a broken belly and I'm venturing into the world of liquid proteins for sustenance.  I remembered THIS product in my fridge.

This isn't a fair review.

I will disclose that right up front.  This is not a paid review.  I don't play that way.  However. I'm not totally entirely one hundred percent against it anymore.   (Hello, increasing medical bills?)

I'm already in love with this product.    

I've been sipping it for months.  In fact, I went into a local nutrition store and asked for it before they knew what it was.

Oops.

Well, what is it?  It's bottled sunshine, whey protein and love, of course.  

But, I will tell you WHY I love it so much.  

Check this out:

DSC_5700

Squint.  Read the ingredients.  Filtered water, whey proteinisolate, peach puree concentrate, orange juice concentrate, phosphoric acid, non-dairy creamer, sodium caseinate, mono- and diglycerides, milled flaxseed, pectin, flavors, malic acid, cellulose gum, fish oil and sucralose.

Whey protein isolate is THE best protein choice for post weight loss surgery patients.  32 grams of protein in one 16 ounce bottle.   Super.

Fruit puree, further sweetened by sucralose, some milled flaxseed and fish oil for the brain and digestion with omega 3's.  Awesome.

Picture 35

Yeah, so that means it has "The Sugar" but you know what, it's fruit sugar.  

Entirely fruit based sugar.  If you eat fruit, this is about the equivalent to one small peach.

Peach 

But, how does it taste?  No, really?  Beth, don't lie.

Ttar_orange_01_h_launch

The Isopure Smoothie smells vaguely citrusy, slightly peachy, there isn't much smell to it at all.  

DSC_5712
The texture is THIN.  It's a light opaque shake, not viscous at all.  There are no lumps, bumps or chunks.  It is totally smooth and thin.  

DSC_5709

It's almost more juicy than it is protein-y if that makes sense.  Many protein shakes have a thickness to them, and a mouthfeel, this does not.  

It does not leave ANY residue on my tongue and no aftertaste.  While Isopure calls it a "yogurt-like" flavor.  I differ.  I hate yogurt.  There's no "tang" to this shake, no yogurt flavor.  I would venture to guess that they meant more in texture?  I don't know, but it's not at all yogurty.  Which for me, is a good thing.  For you? 

I love this product.  I actually love the next flavor, more.  Stay tuned.

• Product - Isopure Smoothie - Orange Peach 
  • Via - Gastric Bypass Supplements under Nature's Best
  • Price - $39.95 - case  $3.32 - ea*****ase price - GOOD DEAL - elsewhere seen at $4.99 EACH.
  • Pros - 32 grams of whey protein isolate in a ready to drink,  sweetened with fruit and sucralose, good healthy fats in flax and oils added, absolutely delicious
  • Cons - 16 carbs, which for a new post op might be too much at the beginning.  Drink half.
  • Rating - Freaking Pouchworthy, MM
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/11 10:10 am - OH
It's very hard to describe how something is NOT "protein-y", isn't it, LOL?!? 

Lora

Mia H.
on 7/19/11 10:17 am - OH
 Thanks! I'll go to the Vitamin Shoppe tomorrow and pick up a bottle to try.  BTW Lora, the Isopure drinks do the exact same thing to me and I tried it 3 weeks ago, so I don't think it changed. 

P.S. Lora - I took your advice and took the meds.  The g-tube came out today with no problems and really not any pain, just a bit uncomfortable.  I feel much better with that thing gone. Thanks for the help!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/11 10:52 am - OH
Just be cautious about how much your drink at first since it does have some sugar in it.

Glad you got the g-tube out without pain.  I was thankful to have it to get all my protein and water in those first 3 weeks, but was VERY glad to get rid of it (It did not start to hurt until the day before I got it out, but it was such an annoyance!).

Lora

Michele816
on 7/19/11 10:30 am
They are good and if you  par-freeze them, you get a slushy-like drink that is good in this hot weather!

shesha81
on 7/19/11 12:24 pm - Gardner, MA
....the aftertaste was vile and it made your tongue feel like it was coated with something that was going to eat through it....

LOL!!!!! OMG I could not stop laughing after I read that, that is exactly how I feel about the Isopure!!! Thank you for a good laugh I needed that!!
Alisha
Cherylkas
on 7/19/11 1:37 pm - PA
 I love the smothies...sadly the gnc and vitamen shoppe here are not going to be selling them any more as they were not big sellers. Oh and I really like the regular isopures as well. 
 Come visit me on my bloghttp://apeekintomytreehouse.com/ 

Start weight 282, Surgery weight 265, Current weight 131, Goal weight 140 

A woman is like a tea bag - you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/11 1:44 pm - OH
Oh, no!  That is NOT good news.

Lora

(deactivated member)
on 7/19/11 2:54 pm - Winter Park, FL
I lovee the smoothies! My GNC has them as well as all Natures Best drinks for buy one get one 50% off right now,. but I was also able to find a few that were marked down even further! And off course I cleared the shelf,.. :) Only 13,...lol But yes,.. they are yummo!
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 562 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 551 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 267 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics