frustrated with surgeons.

broadwaymom83
on 7/19/11 12:21 am
So although i believe my gastric bypass surgeon is highly skilled. He was terribly mean to me when i was in the hospital , he yelled at me and made me cry in front of my "room mate" (in hospital) and the nurses. because they paged him too much to see if they could take out my catheter.. had i not have been hopped up on painkillers i would have advocated for myself and reported him. instead i was so humiliated that a health care "professional" could be so cruel. since then (3 years) i've really only been in for 2 post op visits. a friend had some surgeon/practice. and has had bad experiences also with staff not understnading and making her feel bad about herself. instead of encouraging and being helpful. I recieved a letter from my doctor saying the surgeons office contacted themand i need a follow up in june/july.. made an appt with my doctor(dif. reason) and told her please find me another surgeon. I end up having anxiety attacks just thinking about having to go back to them.She agreed. but can't find me a surgeon. because none will take till i'm a few more years out even though it's on a recomendation frommy primary. so she agreed it would be reasonable. for her too keep an eye on my labs. and that i promised i would see them if i was having any complications or gastric issues.. and that i would see them if i start having trouble and gaining back weight.. i think it's reasonable do you?
thanks,
katie
dasie
on 7/19/11 12:54 am
I think it is very reasonable.  I get my feelings hurt way to easily, and his behavior would have devastated me.  It would have destroyed my confidence in his.  What an unfortunate thing to deal with.

broadwaymom83
on 7/19/11 1:07 am
i'm a very senstive person to but i still remember what he said.. he waled in and said i'm a busy person. stop being a baby.. if your gonna be a baby. then maybe you shouldn't have had the surgery i could bring you back in and undo it all.. i burst out crying said i just asked they page you...he agreed that i could have it taken out 2 hours latter.. (think he was trying to punish me)

by then it was late morning and i had been walking around and around and around allll morning.
if i was in my right mind i would have said really cause i have the right to consent i no longer consent to the damn catheter.. take it out imediately.. i would have reported him for the way he talked to me.. and i would have further said you have no right to lay one finger onme unless i consentl. so i guess you won't be "undoing ": it any time soon!

the nurtiriontist..well one was nice there was one.. you basically told me how horrible it was that i had a half a tuna sandwhich (at a before surgery consultation) any dietician i've ever met would have been happy with that. tuna with a smidge of may on100% whole wheat is FINE.. but she said no no.. but it was okay to eat lean cuisines.....they have also been mean to someone who wasn't exactly at goal.. i think they are more focused. on their "numbers' than individual s health and happiness.. my primary seems to think that 170 would be very reasonable which i'm still no where near yet. but still working on it.. but i sudder to think what they would want.because i have a friend who's 2 inches taller and they want her lower than that..
dasie
on 7/19/11 6:10 am
In the early 2000s, I began having to have breast biopsies.  The second time around my gynecologist referred me to a surgeon to have the biopsy rather than the breast center where I had one done previously.  This was to be my third.  The day I was scheduled, I had to wait 2 TWO hours before I was called.  This surgeon is a part of a famed bariatric practice.  If I mentioned his name, he would be recognized immediately; so I won't.  Anyway his practice was packed, and it was almost 5:00 pm.  He had a lot of patients remaining in the waiting room. 

The nurse came in and prepared everything for the biopsy.  He came in and sat down to begin the procedure.  All my biopsies before that time and since were anesthetized locally prior to the procedure.  I had 2 in February. While I know it is common practice for biopsies to be performed without a local. mine never are.   When I said, "You are going to anesthetize the area, right," he shoved his stool back and also said I as being a baby.  He got up walkedout and told the nurse to prepare the injection. It was not my fault he was so behind.   I was stunned.  Worst bed side manner I had ever witnessed.  I later complained to my gynecologist and told her I would never let him biopsy me again.

When I decided to have RNY in 2008,  I actually attended the seminar given by his clinic.  That night he happened to be the physician who presented from the clinic.  The whole night I simply could not get past his behavior 10 years prior.  I could have chosen another from the clinic, but they were related and was not about to take the chance that he too had the same demeanor and attitude. 

I have to say my RNY surgeon is simply amazing.  He is skilled, knowledgeable and very compassionate and personable.  I knew this journey would require a life long relationship with my surgeon, so I was very careful when I chose.  I did however have a similar experience to yours with the nursing staff at the hospital where I had my RNY.  I have never mentioned this to my surgeon, but if the opportunity ever presents itself, I will.

broadwaymom83
on 7/19/11 7:42 am
The nursing staff at my hospital was fantastic!
When i went for my pre -Ops He was very nice..said i sounded like an outstanding canidate and didn't see any reason why i should have any problems, the nut. however like i said i was less that impressed by, but again..no real issues. it wasn't until AFTER surgery the next day that i had the issue with him. And the second nut.that i saw was very nice. but i still couldn't get past the fact that I might have to dealwith the not so nice one.. and then my friend who had surgery and same doctor.. said when she went in she had gained back 20 lbs.. they were rude to her this was like3 years after surgery for her.. and she was worried that she didn't feel restriction, and wasable to eat larger portions.. all he did was a swallow and not an endoscopy, which checks follow.. and the next surgeon she went to because they were mean and told her it was all her fault she was gainging weight it wasn't her pouch,, and so on..made her feel about 2 inches tall.. said he should have done endoscopy to check size too.. 

If that biopsy surgeon had said that to me..i would have asked if he would like his sensitives biopsied without numbing medication.. i'm sorry but most womens breast are more sensitive than a mans.. besides i don't believe in necessary pain.

I hope your biopsy went well and your doing well in that respect.. and thank you so much for the support on this issue.. i really wanted to gather others (even though my primary was okay wiith my decission) because others might see something that the surgeon would do say think of check whatever that primary might not.. i thought i might call them and asked them to fax over my records to my primary and the list of what labs should be checked yearly also.. so she's filled in from his stand point.. and if they ask why i'll just say i no longer wish to seek treatment with this office.
immafatgirl
on 7/19/11 1:50 am - KY
u can still report that horrible bed side manner. he mustve been having a very bad day .but ppl really need to put themselves in your shoes. sometimes after a catheter comes out. a person can feel so much better. if he spoke to me that way . i would be hurt to..
MarilynT
on 7/19/11 2:06 am
I haven't seen my surgeon (or anyone for bariatrics) in years. As long as your PCP is willing to learn what is normal for us (as far as labs, supplements, etc. ) and is willing to follow you, that should be fine.

Make sure you refer her to the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgeons' website for the most up to date information on what is NORMAL for us....'cuz what is NORMAL for us, lab-wise and supplement-wise, is NOT what is normal for non-ops. Their website is asmbs.org and here is a link for their info on labs and supplements: www.asbs.org/Newsite07/resources/bgs_final.pdf .

Good luck.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

broadwaymom83
on 7/19/11 3:57 am
thanks marilyn i will give her that link.. she said she was willing to follow me lab wise.. as long as i didn't run into any problems that the surgeon would need to deal with...
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/19/11 7:43 am - OH
I would NEVER go back to that surgeon again!  There is no excuse for a surgical practice where poeple are not respectful to their patients.  I find it interesting that this SEEMS to be more of a problem with bariatric surgeons... and it makes me wonder if there is not some underlying bias there... that it's ok to be disrespectful (or even downright mean) to people who are obese (or formerly obese)...

It is fine for your PCP to handle your yearly labs, but as someone else suggested, know what GOOD levels are for us because we are not like non-RNY folks.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

broadwaymom83
on 7/19/11 7:48 am
i think it has to do with their numbers.. think about it.. if you where a cardiac surgeon and your patient kept dieing.. it wouldnl't look so good for your practice.. so if a bariatric surgeon is mean when your gainging weight.. it probably because it doens't look good for them... I also think they have more a a god complex not because they have your lives in their hands.. but a  i'm doing this for you aren't i so great..
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 3 views
Recent Topics