Are all RNY's created equal ?

shellb58
on 7/20/11 10:07 am - WA
There are a few different kinds of RNY. The proximal, The medial, And the DS
Is there a differance on the out come depending on what surg. you had done. As in how fast one loses? or Dumping? Thanks
I had the proximal and my Dr. said he bypassed 5 ft.
shelley veturis            
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/20/11 10:32 am - OH
The DS (duodenal switch) is NOT a form of RNY.  It is a completely diffferent surgery with a sleeve-type stomach instead of a pouch and a diffferent (more extensive) intestinal bypass.

There is no evidence that, in the long run, there is any significant difference in how much weight is lost or how much of the loss is maintained between proximal and distal. Yes, you may lose faster initially with more of the intestine bypassed, but you may also have more trouble (both initally and long-term) with malabsorption. I researched this because my starting BMI indicated that the DS might have been a better surgery for me or that I shoud consider the longer bypass if I was going to go with RNY.  Long-term maintenance of weight loss is tied to develpoment of new, healthy eating (and exercise) habits.

I have not heard of any difference in terms of dumping, but do not know for sure.  I would not expect any difference, since either way you have no pyloric valve and are quickly passing unprocessed sugar into the lower intestine but, as I said, I don't know for sure.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

shellb58
on 7/20/11 10:47 am - WA
Thanks for the info
shelley veturis            
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 513 views
What's on your Monday Menu?