NEWBIE QUESTION ON LACK OF APPETITE = LACK OF PROTEIN

Torretta
on 7/21/11 2:58 pm - franklin park, NJ
Hello  I am one month post op and just had my doctor visit and he told me that i must get more protein in  and i know this  my question is  HOW??  i still don't have much of an appetite yet,  which i am happy about but nervous at the same time because i am not getting my protein in  my doctor wants me to get at least 80mg in and my 64oz of liquids which i am just barely making that   i don't  want anything to eat until around 2 or 3 PM  then i start to feel hungry.   morning time forget about it i can't seem to even tolerate soft things like yogurt for breakfast he said to just start off by having a cup of hot tea in the morning to slowly wake my stomach up  i am not a tea or coffee drinker but i will try this   i only seem to want to drink water all day because it causes me no problems  i really want to get my protein in  i have tried the WHEY liquid protein in the test tube YUCK hated it   i am tired of my bariactric protein shakes   i know that as time goes on i will be able to stomach more and eat more but what can i do for now  i am content to eat one meal a day and have to force myself to nibble on something other than jello and pudding and yogurt to give me a little variety  i am going to try some beans in my crock pot tomorrow and see if i can stomach that  any suggestions would be welcome thanks.

poet_kelly
on 7/21/11 3:02 pm - OH
Those test tube things contain mostly collagen protein, which we don't absorb, so don't waste money on them.

At one month post op, I don't know how you could get enough protein in without protein shakes.  Your protein shakes count towards your 64 oz of liquids.  If water works best for you in the morning, try the Isopure ready to drink clear protein drinks or something like Syntrax nectar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/11 3:13 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Don't wait for a hunger signal;  chances are you won't have one until too late to avoid low blood 
sugar.

Eat on a schedule;  within 20 minutes of rising, do 20 to 30 grams of protein.  Then schedule your
next meal within four hours, and then the next.

Try Wendy's refried beans w/cheese, tuna, shrimp, etc. I also did my favorite soups in a blender,
and added some unflavored protein powder after microwaving the soup in order to raise the protein
level.

Do it one or two ounces at a time.  You must get your protein.

Good luck!
Dave Chambers
on 7/21/11 3:26 pm - Mira Loma, CA
One mo. post op and you're tired of protein shakes? You'll need them for several months, as you won't be eating much. But you should try to eat something within 30 minutes of waking up to start your metabolism. You can get some unflavored whey isolate protein (powder, not those tubes) and add to oatmeal, soups, crystal lite, etc.  Fluids and protein at the same time.  Make SF pudding and add the protein to it.  You need to eat more than one meal a day.  I do hope you're taking Prilosec or a similar product, as this may help you heal and begin eating more.  Make your own shakes. Take some berries, add crushed ice, 1/3 a banana and protein and blend. You can eat this with a spoon or use a wide straw made for smoothies. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

dasie
on 7/21/11 9:39 pm
I agree with Kelly.  For the first few months, I could not find a protein shake  I could tolerate.  My doctor was so understanding, and he kept encouraging me letting me know I would settle into this lifestyle.  I was not getting more than 30 grams for months.  I  spent a fortune on shakes and powders.  FINALLY my husband brought home EAS Advantege  Rich Dark Chocolate.  For me personally, the dark chocolate masked the artificial sweetener and protein taste.  It is really good and the only one I can drink, even now.  I've tried the other flavors in that brand.  I could not even eat meat as a single item until 6 months.  I got my protein from shakes, beans, yogurt, cheese, peanut butter.  Keep trying, and you will find what works for you.

Price S.
on 7/21/11 9:49 pm - Mills River, NC
Start with something warm in the morning.  there are tons of really good herb teas on the market these days.  I particularly like honey vanilla camimille and peach.  Add unflavored protein powder to it.  You need to start thinging of protein and fluid as your job to get them in.  they are like medicine to you right now and you need to do it, even it if is one ounce at a time.  No more 1 meal a day.  You need 6-8 Meals, 1/4c each throughout the day with fluid inbetween. 
Ending up in the hospital for dehydration and losing all your hair isn't fun.  Get with the program.  And Hugs. 

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/21/11 11:23 pm - OH
You CANNOT eat only when you are "hungry".  What are you going to do if you are someone (like me) who NEVER gets back their sense of hunger (except "head hunger", of course!)??  Eat by the clock.  Not gettign enough protein long-term can be dangerous.

As Kelly already said, the protein "bullets'/"shots"/"tubes" not only taste horrid, they are useless.  Not only is collagen protein a crappy form of protein but they don't contain all of the amino acids you need to be able to ABSORB the protein... so you are gagging them down for nothing.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

smorris285
on 7/22/11 12:02 am - Ingersoll, Canada
Not sure if this will help - but I am the same way at 3 month post op - I can not eat anything in the morning, my pouch just can not handle it.  My dietician recommended that I drink a cup of milk in the morning.  It has some protien and it also is part of the liquids you need to get in in the day.  My doc does not believe in protien shakes and thinks I should be able to get what I need from regualr food - it is hard but I am getting close everyday closer to the goal amount.  Having the milk in the morning helps - then I drink my water until about 10 am and then I have a yougurt and some applesauce.  This helps my stomach to wake up.  I too do not really get the hungry feeling - so I eat by the clock - hard to do I know, but it really is a must.

Take care a good luck.

Stacey285 
Surgery Date April 28, 2011  RNY

poet_kelly
on 7/22/11 2:03 am - OH
How can you get enough protein in the early days without protein shakes?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 76 views