dizzy after massage?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/23/11 12:41 pm - OH
For the second time in about 9 months, I have gotten VERY dizzy immediately after having a deep tissue massage.  I felt fine when I got off the table but as soon as I started to get dressed, a huge wave of dizziness came over me and I dropped into the chair in order to keep from falling.  It took only a short period of time (a minute, maybe?) for the dizziness to pass, but I felt unsteady and a little mentally unfocused for about 15 minutes.  I had eaten a light snack of cheese and almonds before I went, so I don't think it was blood sugar (and it passed without me eating (although my massage therapist did bring me some water)).  He did not know what it might be. (It had not happened in 4 years of seeing this massage therapist until that first incident last fall.)

Has anyone else had this happen? Anyone know what might cause it?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Paul C.
on 7/23/11 12:48 pm - Cumming, GA
Only after getting the happy ending! LOL

Seriously though, since the deep tissue massage brings more blood into the muscle tissue it could be your body just wasn't at s point of equilibrium that was ready for the change in position and blood flow. I know I can get dizzy going from standing to sitting. Or it may have something to do with your recent medical issues. Given the problems you have had recently it may be worth a call to your doctor.

Hope things start working out got you.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Lori P.
on 7/23/11 12:55 pm - Kenosha, WI
Drop in blood pressure d/t intense relaxation, sudden position change and activity??

....just a random usless opinion from an OB nurse 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

_Donna_
on 7/23/11 12:58 pm
I used to do this after seeing the chiropractor. He said it had something to do with toxins in the blood.  He would have me lay still for 15 before standing up. Maybe you can try that the next time.

RNY 5-5-2011

Suite1
on 7/23/11 1:21 pm - Dayton, OH
Normally I can tie any dizziness to low blood pressure and mine was getting pretty low there for a while.  The doctor (MD) I go to for acupuncture told me that it's usually a fluid/volume issue - when you're laying down the fluids in your body are pretty consistently spread out, but when you stand up, they all go to your feet and away from your heart.   She recommends drinking a lot of fluids.  

My daughter is a massage therapist and I know she & others over the past have warned me to be careful standing up after a massage because of potential dizziness, so I guess it's pretty common. 
HW:  280  SW:  262.5  CW:  150
  GOAL!!!!   One week shy of my surgiversary!

LBL, TT, BA on 3/2/12 - Dr William Rigano  

hlacy
on 7/23/11 3:24 pm - Chandler, AZ
I often notice a similar sensation after I get a massage; although I get reflexology, not deep tissue. It passes within about 5-10 mins, but I do notice it. It's just a general sense of lightheadedness for me, not so much dizziness. Perhaps it is due to the lowered blood pressure?
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

qnmimi
on 7/23/11 6:47 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Has nothing to do with toxins in the blood, but with deep relaxation, lying flat, and massaging various lymph channels that change fluid status...opens them up. I have always been told to hydrate well prior to massage. Massage can also stimulate different hormone levels to change, many that can also influence blood pressure, or fluid levels. Ever get a psychological reaction to deep tissue massage? That's partly why.

LizShort
on 7/23/11 10:45 pm - NC
 It has everything to do with toxins.  You need to hydrate very VERY well prior to the massage as the toxins held in the muclsculo skeletal system are released.  Your lymphatic system is also flushed.  These toxins can cause many immediate issues such as dizziness.  Like someone else said, lay still for 10 to 15 mins after your massage to give the toxins a chance to move into your bladder where they will be released next time you pee.  It also gives your muscles some time to adjust to the relaxation and you will keep that feeling of relaxation a lot longer than if you just get up shortly after the massage.

I know it's hard to allow yourself to lie there, but do it.  Massage therapists have several rooms for that purpose alone.  So... next time, allow the toxins to move and your muscles to wallow in the feeling of relaxation.  Take your time :)  

shellbell75
on 7/24/11 1:28 am
My massage therapist makes sure we drink before and after. It is common to get dizzy after one. She will help me sit up and I will take about 5 minutes sitting up before I get down from the table. She has a bottle of water waiting for me when I get out to push fluids.
**SHELLY**   HW: 316   SW: 256   GW: 125  CW: 118       

nfarris79
on 7/24/11 1:29 am - Germantown, MD
 My massage therapist always had me hydrate before AND after the massage due to blood pressure, fluid changes and "toxins" (though I'm not sure how much stock I put in that idea). I agree that maybe the medical issues you've been experiencing lately could have something to do with why this has come on so suddenly.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 469 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 538 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 522 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 181 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 409 views
Recent Topics