Why RNY?

BigSilly
on 7/26/11 10:13 pm - California, MD
So why did you choose RNY when so many alternatives are available?
If you had to do it over again would you choose the exact same procedure or something different, if you were to choose something different, what would you choose and why?

Dave Chambers
on 7/26/11 11:08 pm - Mira Loma, CA

Unless you are self pay, you may not have a choice of surgery--some insurance companies will not pay for some options.  Each surgery has some issues, and your health issues and post op limitations need to be discussed.  If you need NSAIDS for daily pain, then RNY would probably not be a wise choice.  Lapband is less invasive initially, but can have a vareity of issues post op, wt loss is slow, and many get revised to another surgery after a year or two.  RNY has a long history so there is plenty of history behind it.  You may or may not "dump" (rapid heart beat, anxiety, sweating, possible diarrhea, possbily passing out) from too much sugar or fatty foods.  Daily supplmenents are needed with these surgeries and monitoring annual lab work is a necessity to see if you need to adjust vitamin levels.  Sleeve surgery required removal of a large section of your stomach, and some people are uneasy about this--surgery cannot be reversed but can be revised.  DS requires very close monitoring of labs as you supplement levels are likely the highest with this surgery, but you can eat almost anything.  Check out the variety of forums on OH to learn more. I'd highly recommend you attend support groups for each surgery considered.  I chose RNY, as it was the only surgery offered besides lapband by my insurance company 5 years ago.  Band and RNY are typically done by most insurance companies. Many are also doing the sleeve now. If you want the DS, it's likely you'll have to appeal possible denials.  Each insurance company is different. You might also want to inquire with your insurance company to see what surgeries they allow. With almost all of these surgeries, many have "buyer's remorse" the first few weeks post op, while they get used to post op life.  I'm happy with my RNY, and you'll likely hear other posts about why others are happy with their different surgeries.  You really need to make this decision with some medical guidance. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Dorathea
on 7/26/11 11:20 pm - Lexington, KY
Revision on 03/28/12
I'm choosing the RNY because as Dave said my insurance will pay for it, but not the gastric sleeve at my current weight.  In speaking with my PCP, who is not a big fan of RNY, we were in agreement that me gaining 50 pounds to qualify for it is counterproductive.

<-------Pharmacist  I can answer general questions, but for more serious questions always ask your surgeon.

oregoncatz
on 7/26/11 11:28 pm - Beaverton, OR
I took RNY to avoid diabetes--it is the only procedure that guarantees to reverse or prevent diabetes permanantly. I have a strong family history so for me it was the best choice.
Katari
on 7/27/11 12:36 am - OR
Just an FYI, NONE of the procedures are guaraneed to reverse or prevent diabetes permanantly. RNY has about an 85% chance of remission while the DS has about a 98% chance of a "cure". RNYer's can have diabetes return after a few years and with regain. DS'ers have a higher chance of an actual cure with no return of diabetes after a few years. Just wanted to make sure that anyone seeing this has the actual information.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

labellavita1982
on 7/27/11 12:30 am - Neenah, WI
I at first wanted to have the band done but with how big I was, they felt that RNY was the best choice. My insurance doesn't cover the sleeve.

HW-500lbs SW-381 CW-235 GW-185
Steph
(deactivated member)
on 7/27/11 1:33 am
I choose RNY because my doctor said this would be the best choice for me after persuading me not to do the LapBand due to all of it's complications and success rate. I was pretty healthy dispite being mobidly obese and only 26 years old so he knew that I would recovery from the surgery fine and I would be happy with my weight loss progress. We did go over all of my options and the life changes they would force me to make so RNY turned out to be the best thing.

I'm very happy with my weight loss, health, and energy levels and food no longer controls me, so no, I would not choose anything else.
adnerb
on 7/27/11 4:53 am
Hi,
I had the RNY done lap in 2000. This was my second choice at the time because I wanted the lapband (less invasive). My doc explained it wouldn't be the best for me with the amount of weight I had to lose (150#). Soooo, I had the RNY and it was covered by my insurance. Glad I did not have Lapband...as current docs have told me they are seeing a 50% failure rate...not so good! BUT, I too wish I had known about the DS. I have struggled with my weight since RNY (have gained a good amount of weight back) and cannot take meds for arthritis. I have dumping and hypoglycemia. I am on a constant DIET, eat and hungry within 30 minutes. I am now seeking a revison to DS. So, I congratulate you on doing some research now! I thought I did a lot of research prior to my surgery, but you can never be too prepared!! Best wishes in your decisions!
Brenda
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 373 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 340 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 170 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 215 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 123 views