Dizzy spells

Smileygrl810
on 7/29/11 12:23 pm
Has anyone experienced dizzy spells? It mostly happens when I stand up but lately it's happening more and more. I didn't know if this is normal or if I could be lacking some type of vitamin or nutrient. I had my blood pressure checked and it was exactly 120 over 80. (I've heard low blood pressure can cause dizziness.) No meds have changed for me either. Just wanted to pop in here and see if anyone has any input on this! Thanks!

Highest Weight: 318 lbs
Surgery Weight: 265 lbs
Current Weight: 183 lbs
Goal Weight: 145 lbs 
Msluvnlife
on 7/29/11 12:32 pm - Stockton, CA
Ive had the dizzy spells upon standing also, my blood pressure is fine too. I think its we may stand to fast, with losing weight our body is going through some changes. Just keep an eye on your BP.
Barbara C.
on 7/29/11 12:46 pm - Raleigh, NC

This was a relatively common issue for me as I was losing weight, but it resolved after I got to goal. My Dr did tell me to be sure that I was staying hydrated... i.e., 64 ounces daily and to ensure that I was getting in my protein and supplements. I have to admit that the better hydrated I was, the better I did re: dizzy spells. 

I hope that helps for you. 

BTW, if you haven't mentioned this to your surgeon's office, I'd do that just be sure.

All the best,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Smileygrl810
on 7/29/11 12:57 pm
Thanks. I don't think it's dehydration. I drink about 75 ounces of water a day. I had heard from somewhere that lack of B12 vitamin could maybe cause this too. I wonder how accurate that info was. That is the hardest vitamin for me to take because of taking it sublingual. I don't like the tastes of any that I've tried. I'm thinking about getting the shots actually.

Highest Weight: 318 lbs
Surgery Weight: 265 lbs
Current Weight: 183 lbs
Goal Weight: 145 lbs 
Rebecca H.
on 7/29/11 1:19 pm
I was having bad dizzy spells before and after surgery. It was my blood pressure medicine, a diuretic. As soon as I came off of it. Dizzy spells went away.

Dave Chambers
on 7/29/11 2:27 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Keep on top of this issue. I began having dizzy spells around 8 months post op and passed out a few times at home.  If in public and the dizzy spell**** I'd grab onto something "and ride it out". A couple of times the dizzy spells were real intense and I had to sit down. This happened in Best Buy when I was buying a TV. The clerk was ready to call an ambulance. I said no, just some water please.  I had a few sips of water, relaxed. wrote the BIG check for the BIG TV and accessories and walked out of the store about 15 minutes later.  I began a series of Holter Monitor and Event Monitor tests with my PCP.  My bp seemed to be pretty steady, with my pulse being documented at 45 and 38 on doctor visits (2 low rates I do remember as the nurses asked if I felt ok).  I finally got a referral to a cardio doc.   Another Holter Monitor test and I had a diagnosis.  My bp fluctuated somewhat, and instead of returning to my normal low bp, my bp would "dip" below the normal low levels. This was when I got very dizzy or passed out. I needed a pacemaker.  So a simple bp reading will not show an issue like I had. I had the pacemaker implanted about 3 1/2 years ago and have not had myore dizzy spells. It too was taking correct supplements, had good hydration. I've had lower D issues post op, but I do take the 50K IU dry D3 and am getting close to the 80-90 level considered optimum for post ops.  If the issue continues, please check with your doctor.  I got very worried when I lost track of a few seconds driving locally a couple of times.  Another member of one of my post op groups has a pacemaker implanted too, as she had dizzy spells. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

iisme
on 7/29/11 9:11 pm
This happened to me A LOT the first year. It came to a peak around 5 to 7 months. I would be sitting down in my comfy chair, then I would get up and it would be so bad I would have to hold on to something and I would see stars. A few times I honestly thought I was going to pass out but I never did. My husband saw a couple of these "episodes" and was genuinely concerned.
They went away once my weight stabilized.

10 pounds loss pre-op
poet_kelly
on 7/30/11 12:18 am - OH
Did you check your blood pressure both sitting and again as soon as you stand up?  Sometimes blood pressure drops a lot when you stand up, which causes dizziness.

Low blood sugar might do it, too.  Does it usually happen a certain amount of time after you eat?

As far as vitamins go, low iron can cause dizziness.  Are you really tired lately?  Bruising easily?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

krislbt41
on 7/30/11 1:52 am - Center Line, MI
Test your blood sugar also as well as blood pressure.  My blood pressure was fine, but the last time I tested my sugar it was 102.  Every now and then I still get a bit light headed and someone above did mentioned it could be our body adjusting to our rapid weight loss....which is one of the things my neighbor told me too.  I think it's a mix of that, blood pressure and sugar.

I as well have to remember to keep drinking liquids!  Hopefully it will finally pass for the both of us!

Good luck!

Talk2me
on 10/22/11 3:25 pm - CA
RNY on 11/10/10 with
Did you ever find an answer?  I have been lightheaded for months when I get up, but for the last 6 days it has gotten worse.  Shopping, taking a shower, just walking or working out all seem to bring on these "spells" where I feel my knees grow weak and everything starts to black out.  My blood sugar is fine and my blood pressure is coming in at an average of 100/60.  Please tell me there is something I can do to stop this.      

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 525 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 209 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 412 views
Recent Topics