Food Got Stuck.. I got an ambulance ride to the hospital

aseg21
on 8/5/11 11:52 am - Miami, FL

Had I posted this before yesterday I would have said I never really had issues with things getting stuck but yesterday changed all that. At 11 am, I made a bad food choice - I ate a fried mozzarella stick off an appetizer plate and didn't feel so hot so I skipped lunch. Drank water and went to the gym at 2. I wasn't feeling bad at the gym so I continued to drink water - half a bottle or so.

After we worked out, my friend and I were going to go grab an early dinner and at the restaurant, I felt bad. I drank a glass of water and felt pressure in my lower sternum and through to my back. We worked out pretty hard doing weights, which I don't do frequently, and talked it over and figured I'd pulled something. I ate 2 bites of my pimento cheese and not 7 minutes later the pressure had intensified and I was in the bathroom heaving. Nothing was coming up. I finally got back to the table and apologized, explaining I needed to leave and was just in a ton of pain. When I got out to my car, I was sweating profusely and could feel my pulse racing. I turned the air on high and tried leaning the seat back but no use, the pain continued to intensify. My girlfriend refused to leave and continued to try and convince me to go to the hospital, which I stubbornly refused.

When my color shifted from tan to stark white she was alarmed and opened the door to kneel beside me and try to convince me one more time. At this point, I was starting to panic as my lips and hands were starting to numb and the uncontrolable shaking had started. Apparently, I lost consciousness and tumbled towards the pavement and she took that as a strong sign to call 911. At this point, I was in so much pain all I wanted was a paramedic. They were concerned about cardiac issues and pain medication couldn't be given until the hospital.

Had an ultrasound for the gallbladder, blood work for the pancreas and other issues and finally a CT to see if there was blockage and if it was scar tissue. The only thing notable immediately was the abdominal spasms and knots that could be felt and seen. Hernia was a concern for a while. 6 hours after arriving to the hospital, the doctor finally decided it must have been something I ate that blocked the opening and when I tried to add liquids there was just no where for it to go causing the pressure reaction. Add in all the acids and such it's producing trying to get things moving and it's incredibly painful apparently. Ouch. Never, ever again will I be eating melted gooey cheesestick. Never, ever, ever.

Moral of the story - careful what you eat. I'd never had any issues before and got too brave.

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 12:01 pm
Oh MY!!!

I'm so glad your ok now. That must have been really scary.
Trish S.
on 8/5/11 12:03 pm - Upstate , NY
Wow.....that sounds horrible.  You must have been really scared.  I'm glad you are ok.  It's a hard lesson to learn.  I'm scheduled for December, and I will keep your experience in mind.  I'm glad it wasn't anything too serious, and that you are feeling better now.
“I think everyone should be told they’re beautiful until they believe it.?

labellavita1982
on 8/5/11 12:42 pm - Neenah, WI
How scary! I am glad that you are ok.

HW-500lbs SW-381 CW-235 GW-185
Steph
Cheryl N.
on 8/5/11 12:55 pm - Des Moines, WA
Oh my!  that has to be very scary and glad you are ok now!

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

seattledeb
on 8/5/11 1:24 pm
With those symptoms it's good that your friend called 911.
I hope you feel better.
Deb T.

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/11 1:28 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Wow! I've had "Stuck" before, and yes it does feel like a
heart attack, but I've never had or even heard of anyone who
has had such a severe problem

I'm so glad you had someone there to get some help. You could
have been found dead in the parking lot.

Hope you feel better soon, and yes, stay away from the fried
cheese!!!

Best wishes
barbiieedoll
on 8/5/11 1:42 pm
Thanks for the information, sorry for your pain you went through. My sugery is upcoming in the next month, I will keep that in mind, cause I would have done the same, thinking soft food, protein, some fats....etc
JerseyJim
on 8/5/11 3:11 pm - Sayre, PA
Sorry to hear that you had to go through that type of pain.  I think you owe your friend a nice dinner. 

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 379 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 500 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 570 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 292 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?