1 mo. blood work & post-op class 2day!

Jazlenesmommy
on 8/9/11 4:37 am - CA
Well I just had my 1 mo. blood work done...but I was dissappointedd cuz she told me that the 2 tests that were asked for, were just general tests. I was really hoping to get to see if my vitamin levels were in check, to see if we can fix this energy problem! :o)...Guess I'll have to wait till the next ones. & I can't attend my post-op class today because my babysitter backed out at last min. (Life of a mommy) LOL...I was also hoping to ask some questions today...Well, guess I'll have to wait till the next class also... :o / Happy Tuesday Everyone!
poet_kelly
on 8/9/11 4:40 am - OH
You can ask your doc to order additional lab tests if you want.  If you think you might be very tired due to a vitamin deficiency, it seems like it would be a good idea to check for that now, not wait unti it gets ever worse.  Plus, some deficiencies, like B12, that can cause fatigue can also cause permanent  nerve damage if they go on untreated too long.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jazlenesmommy
on 8/9/11 4:44 am - CA
Oh man! That's scary! I think I will ask for additional tests. I sorta feel like I did when I was pergnant...but even worse. I could sleep all day if it was possible...but unfortunately it's not with a 19 mo. old LOL...It's frustrating because I have so much to get done, & have to take so many breaks in between. When I was pregnant, my iron was low...so I'm thinking maybe it's that?
poet_kelly
on 8/9/11 4:46 am - OH
Yeah, it could be iron.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 8/9/11 8:27 pm - Suffern, NY
very few surgeons do labs at 1 month out.  Mine did but he was one of the few.  I found out I was iron deficient because they didn't have us start our iron supplements until our 1 month follow up, my levels were fine preop, so they dropped really fast.  Wonderful malabsorbtion.

If you were iron deficient when you were pregnant, then you are probably predispoded to it and I wonder if your levels ever went up once you gave birth.  Did you have your levels checked preop?  What was your iron and ferritin when last checked?

Are you taking iron and if so, how much and what type?  You should be taking carbonyl iron with vitamin C.  You can get it at vitalady.com - called tender irons - they are 60mg capsules with 400mg of vitamin C in them.  You need a minimum of 1 per day and many need atleast 2 to start.  If you get a good start on your iron levels, it will be easier to control.  Once your levels get really bad over time, they are really hard to get back.  If you don't want the capsules, they also have chewables - they are 25mg but then you need to add a vitamin C - 200mg of vitamin C per 30mg of iron.  This is essential in order to absorb the iron properly.  This type of iron (carbonyl iron) is an iron that is one of the easiest absorbed by weight loss surgery patients and it is easy on your stomach.

Make sure you get a complete set of labs by 3 months

Jazlenesmommy
on 8/9/11 4:49 am - CA
Thanks! :o)
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 359 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 329 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 189 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?