Upcal D Calcium Citrate, Any Good?

wynter57
on 8/12/11 5:21 am - Panama City, FL
I was looking at this product and hoped to get some input before I order it.

www.bariatricdiet.com/calcium_citrate.htm

First, it says it is flavorless and can be put in food like pudding or applesauce, etc.

That is what I really want. I got some calcium citrate chews from Unjury and they are GROSS, at least to me.

When I saw this so-called flavorless stuff, I thought this would be perfect IF it's true.

So, anyone tried it? If so, is it truy flavorless?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

Dot T.
on 8/12/11 5:39 am - Bartlesville, OK
I use it.  I bought the single packets and carry them around with me all the time and in my desk drawer at work.  Yes, it is flavorless.  I put it in my drink but, it doesn't all dissolve.  When I get to the bottom of the bottle there is some white stuff down there.  I just swi**** around and drink it.  It might have a little gritty texture too, but not too bad.  I prefer it to any other citrate I've used. 

I do like the chocolate and caramel bariatric advantage chews though.

Good luck.  I think it is worth a try for ya!
poet_kelly
on 8/12/11 5:40 am - OH
I love it.  It truly is flavorless.  It also dissolves pretty well in liquid (I usually put it in a drink, not food) but if you put it in a drink and let the drink sit for a little bit, the powder will sort of settle to the bottom of the glass.  If you just stir it a little, though, it mixes right back in.  It does not change the consistency of liquids, either.  Like, it doesn't make little lumps or anything.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dot T.
on 8/12/11 5:42 am - Bartlesville, OK

Also...  It is quite a *****eaper at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Health-Upcal-D-packets/dp/B000SONA14
wynter57
on 8/12/11 6:12 am - Panama City, FL
Thank you Dot! Yeah, I was going to check around to see where I could find it the cheapest, that was very thoughtful of you to provide the link on Amazon.

Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

CarolBeth
on 8/12/11 6:05 am - SoCal, CA
I had the humongous chewable Bariatric Advantage cinnamon calcium tablets that I just couldn't stand, so I tried this.  I like it in something tart like orange flavored Vitamin Water Zero or in my decaf hot tea with milk.  Can't taste it there at all.  Like the others said, it doesn't dissolve completely but isn't at all offensive.  I tried mixing it into my Wendy's chili, but it did change the flavor of that--made it slightly sweet.  Upcal D certainly beats trying to choke down the "petite" (HA!) pills or those yucky, chalky chewables.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

wynter57
on 8/12/11 6:12 am - Panama City, FL
Thank you everyone for your input, I'm going to order these!

I truly appreciate it! Makes me feel better about what I can do for my calcium because I sure did not look forward to having to chew something that I think is gross, lol.

WYnter

marioluigi
on 8/12/11 6:15 am
 I use the Upcal D calc citrate in my morning latte, a Bariatric Advantage Calcium lozenge at lunch, and a couple Bariatric Advantage chewy bites in the afternoon.  Each has 500 mg calcium (250 each for the chewy bites).  If I feel like a treat in the afternoon, I substitute a Calcet lemon creamy bite which is too expensive and too rich for a 3 x day need.

I tried Citrical petites but worry about their getting stuck (very protective of my stricture fix) although a lot of folks swear by them.  I'll try them further out, a year or more, since I know that they are a lot cheaper than the above items.

wynter57
on 8/12/11 6:32 am - Panama City, FL
Oh and I've seen it written somewhere and my surgeon probably gave me something but I'm not home right now and want to get this ordered. How much are we supposed to take per day?

These packets are 500mg of calcium citrate each. Thanks again!

poet_kelly
on 8/12/11 6:52 am - OH
The ASMBS recommends 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate a day, 500 mg at a time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics