Could use your opinion WOMEN and men if you dare

LORI S.
on 8/16/11 6:56 am
I am having a hysteretomy in Oct. and the Dr said it was up to me on whether I wanted to keep my ovaries or not.  I am not sure what I want to do.  I have researched the pros and cons and am still at a loss.  I am almost 45yrs old, still sexually active and married.

The hysterectomy is due to heaving bleeding and clotting.  I had an ablation in 2009 that only helped for 3 months.  I decided to do the WLS before hysterectomy to see if that would help and it hasn't

If I do let the ovaries go what kind of HRT therapy would be good?  Is there anything naturally that I could take before the surgery to help with the roller coaster ride?

I know I'm not the only one out there that has or is going through this. 
I will a year out in Sept. from WLS

I'm sorry to sound so uneducated but would appreciate any help or insight that can get.
_Donna_
on 8/16/11 7:06 am
Absolutely no doubt you should definitely keep your ovaries. I cannot stress enough how important it is for you.

I had my ovaries removed 11 years ago and there almost isn't a day that goes by that I wish I could have had a choice.
You don't have a medical reason for having them removed, so why do it?

Please, please do more research. The benefits strongly out way any alternative.

HRT isnt as easy as just taking a pill everyday. Your natural hormones are the best. It's what's meant to be.

RNY 5-5-2011

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/11 7:10 am - TX
If I had the choice, I would. Ovarian cancer is hard to detect and normally not found until its Stage 3/4....I've had two aunts die of it. Not that you are susceptible or anything, and I'm sure the chances of you getting it are small. But if it were me I'd yank them out if someone was going in there anyway.
LORI S.
on 8/16/11 7:24 am
Those both are very good arguments and is what is having me on the fence. Ovarian cancer doesn't run in my family but cancer in general does (a grandma and an uncle)
mamawof5
on 8/16/11 7:37 am - IN

I can answer this one from my own experience! I had a partial hyst. almost 3 years ago. I kept my ovaries and I can honestly tell you that I wish everyday since then I had let them go too. The DR failed to tell me that I would still have terrible PMS and backaches every month. I was 39 when I had mine and I'm sorry to say, that if you keep em that does not guarantee you keep your sex drive...:(

ladyewings
on 8/16/11 8:17 am
I had a partial hysterectomy 30 years ago and left my ovaries in, only to have them taken 1 year later. 

My sex drive did not suffer much but I did have the dreaded hot flashes that was hard to take. I did have PMS for the first year but I knew my cycle and could take medication to help with that. Good luck.

Mattie
JerseyJim
on 8/16/11 8:55 am - Sayre, PA
My SIL had them out with her hysterectomy (cancer gene screening after breast cancer battle), and she opted not to go with any HRT.  The first year or so was horrible for her with hot flashes, etc, but now (5 years later) she is fine.  She was 34 or 35 when she had hers done.

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

LORI S.
on 8/16/11 9:24 am
Thanks for the input - I am leaning toward having them taken. 
Carla M.
on 8/16/11 10:22 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I had a total hysterectomy when I was 25. I haven't missed my ovaries at all. I think the only downside is the lack of hormones. I cannot take estrogen because it triggers migraines for me. I now have osteopenia and hot flashes..though the hot flashes are getting a lot better.
LORI S.
on 8/16/11 10:35 am
Thanks for the reply Carla.  I am thinking that letting the ovaries go will end up being the best choice for me. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 313 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 229 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 46 views
Recent Topics