Pouch Stretching

lsa22yrs
on 8/17/11 8:00 am - CA
I am 8 months out, and this week it hit me, although I am still losing weight slower than previous months, but it's still shedding, I have noticed I am able to eat more... A LOT more.... what's happening, how soon can one stretch their pouch, does anyone have an idea or a story to share.

HW:283, SW:273              
sunpat41
on 8/17/11 8:19 am
My sister in law had her surgery about 12-16 months ago, and she had the upper scope done and her doctor told her that her pouch is about 4 times what it should be
                        HW 250/ SW 246 CW 137

poet_kelly
on 8/17/11 10:11 am - OH
What did her doctor say caused it to stretch that much?  That's very unusual.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lsa22yrs
on 8/17/11 8:22 am - CA
Oh my!! So it is possible, I have a co-worker that is 5 years out and she said there is a such things and reshrinking your stomach on your own, she advised that I can go back to liquid for 5-7 days and that would help.

boneswag
on 8/17/11 9:02 am

Stick to measuring and only eat what your supposed to right now.  At 8 months out you should be eating 5 ounces. (Breakfast 3oz protein 2 oz starch- Lunch 3 oz protein 2 oz fruit-   Dinner 3 oz protein and 2 oz veggies was my meal plan at that time.)

Not sure about the whole stomach stretching.  I though it was difficult to do and would happen over a longer period of time than is possible for you to have done.

With that said.  Are you eating slider food?  If you eat food that is condisered slider (food that slides right through your stomach)  then you will be able to eat more. 

I recently was told that prior to about 18 months out you do not absorb all of your calories.  Around 18 months you will begin to absorb all the calories you eat and the weight will come back if you have not changed your habits.  I know this to be true because it is beginning to happen to me now. 
Good Luck and stick to the plan.

lsa22yrs
on 8/17/11 9:39 am - CA
Thank you! I am still eating the same as when I first started, I am still scared to eat bread, rice and pasta, however, I eat a lot of solid veggies, like potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans and  chicken, and salads, is lettuce considered a slider? Maybe I am being paronoid... for example, I used to only be able to eat 1/4 of a full salad and now I am up to half and then about an hour or so later, I eat the other half, and then a few hours I would want to eat again...I think the frequency of my eating has picked up and thats the scary part, because it just reminds me of how I can easily slip back into old habits.

poet_kelly
on 8/17/11 10:11 am - OH
Your pouch is supposed to stretch some over time.  You would starve to death if you could never again eat more than 1/4 cup of food at a time.  The pouch is made from the least stretchy part of the stomach, though, so it's pretty rare to stretch it more than it's supposed to stretch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

YankeeRose
on 8/17/11 11:05 am - Meadville, PA
Hi! I am 8 weeks out and at my 3 week appt. my surgeon told me I should be eating 1 c of food and a total of 1,000 calories per day. He said if I don't my metabolism will slow down and my body would think it is starving and I wouldn't lose weight.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 281 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?