RNY vs Sleeve

mscargirl
on 8/21/11 1:30 am - CA
Why did you decide on the RNY over the sleeve?
I'm still trying to decide which procedure to have. I know it's a personal choice, but I thought if I got more input on why you picked one over the other it would give me more insight.
Lisa R.
on 8/21/11 1:56 am - CA
I choose the sleeve at first but insurance would not cover it, but they did cover the RNY.  So I went with the RNY.

In hind-sight I was happy that I got the RNY.  With the added help of malabsorbtion I think I am losing quicker.  Plus the fear of dumping and the fact that sugars make me feel yucky keep me away from them.  That does not happen with the sleeve.  Though only about 30% of people dump, NO one dumps with the sleeve, and I hear often on this website and in my support group that people with RNY tend to avoid sugars better then those with the sleeve.

Now, not being able to take NSAIDS is a true pain in the butt.  If you have any reason in your life that you feel you will need those on a regular bases you should for sure think about the sleeve.  AFTER surgery I developed knee issues and I can't take any of the meds that will help.  It sucks.

Good luck in making your decision. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
Nessy2976
on 8/21/11 2:31 am - MD
 I too went with the RNY because my insurance did not cover the Sleeve.  I also did not know that not all people dump??  I thought if you had gastric bypass...you dumped no matter what?  Wow,,,that is good to hear.  Not that I am sugar addict anyway....I usually go for the salty stuff, but I am thinking since having my surgery last Wednesday and the salty taste that is happening in my mouth....I may NEVER eat anythiing salty AGAIN!!!  It has gotten much better, but something I won't soon forget. I would go with the sleeve if you can.  You do not hear of many revisions for the sleeve, but a lot for the lap band. Good luck and keep us posted!
 "Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
poet_kelly
on 8/21/11 3:49 am - OH
My insurance did not cover the sleeve.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Jane N.
on 8/21/11 3:56 am - Round Rock, TX
I chose RNY for a lot of reasons.  I needed the malabsorption and the other metabolic changes that occur with RNY (or DS) in order for me to lose weight.  A restrictive only procedure would not have allowed me to lose weight as my weight is not due to volume eating or a bad diet.  I also had severe GERD that DS, sleeve, and banding might have exacerbated.  I've been quite pleased with my RNY and the changes it has brought me.  NSAIDs were off my radar as a drug of choice anyway because of my kidneys, so that wasn't an issue for me either.

Michelle E.
on 8/21/11 4:18 am
I would have done the sleeve ..you wont face all the vitamin issues
kellyl1202
on 8/21/11 4:30 am
I decided to go RNY because my surgeon said that patients generally lose more weight over the VSG (approx 30 lbs)+ I hope the malabsorption will help me keep weight off long term more so than the sleeve.
Kelly L  
5'ft 1in   RNY 9/12/11
301 HW / 287.7 SW / 216 CW / 150 GW

Grumpy_old_man
on 8/21/11 4:47 am, edited 8/21/11 4:49 am
I am pre-op so I don't have the hindsight yet to comment on. I started looking at WLS last spring. I had heard about the lap band and thought it was for me. After researching the lap band, i began to see all the possible complications of having the lap band and rejected that procedure. I got excited about the sleeve did my research and felt fairly comfortable with the weight loss potential. More research revealed my insurance would not cover it. Bummer I thought. I looked at RNY as the only other procedure insurance would cover. I liked the accelerated weight loss possibility. To me dumping will not be an issue. If I do it will be a very strong reminder to not eat unhealthy. Taking vitamins will not be an issue for me either. I need to take vitamins anyway so one or two more isn't really a big deal. My research tells me that all the procedures not including the band have about the same long term weight loss potential, but all the procedures depend on me to change old habits, adopt new ones and remain committed. I can only share with you that I am comfortable with my decision.
Donna R.
on 8/21/11 8:50 am - Ocala, FL
I too chose the RNY, basically for the same reasons as the other posters.  I feel that the RNY is forced willpower.  I don't want to ever experience "dumping" so I stay away from sugars.

My surgery was textbook, I had my surgery August 18, 2010, so just a yr ago.  in that time I have lost 180+ pounds.  Never in my life would I have imagined that I could lose that much weight in one year.  If I chose the sleeve I would not have lost that much, knowing that I could eat sugar and not dump.

Whatever option you choose, research it, talk to your surgeon and ask as many question that you can.  This is your life and your body!!!

Good Luck with your decision, if I can help in anyway please let me know.

Donna
Donna "Embrace the Journey"
AUGUST 18, 2010 "The First Day of the Rest (BEST) of my Life"

HW/SW/CW/GW  -  380/362/178/1??
mscargirl
on 8/23/11 11:19 am - CA
I would like to thank everyone that responded to my question.

I received some information I didn't know and it will help me make a more informed decision.

Thanks!!!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?