Binge Eating Disorder

Heidi L.
on 8/22/11 3:07 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
I think I just figured out what I've been doing for YEARS!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/binge-eating-disorder/DS00608

The feelings are coming back to keep eating. I can sense briefly that I am full but then cannot stop myself until I'm at the point where I feel like I'm going to puke. I'm very concerned that I will either stretch my pouch or do serious damage. Wish there was a way to live without food. It would simplify life.

Just made an appointment with my psychologist but can't see her until October. What a helpless feeling...

Please tell me I'm not alone.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

Jenny_D
on 8/22/11 3:24 am - Canton, GA
:::RAISES HAND::: Hi! My name is Jenny and I am a binge eater.
Jenny         HW: 268 / SW: 254 / CW: 180 / GW: 140
First 5K: 4.21.2012 - Time: 34:45 - 2nd Place in age group
Second 5K: 6.2.2012 - Time 37:09

Ladytazz
on 8/22/11 3:26 am
You are not alone.  Along with being addicted to refined carbs I also am addicted to large quantities of food.  My favorite words in the worlds were "all you can eat".  I always seemed to have a fear of not getting enough food or being hungry.
The surgery has helped so far.  It has taken away my hunger (at least at this point) and helps me physically be satisfied with smaller amounts.  I still have to fight the urge to take larger portions then I need.  I find I have to measure out my food when possible, or eat portion controlled things.  I have to reassure myself that it will be enough.  I sometimes have to promise myself that I can go back and have more if I am still hungry.  I have to trust that what I am eating will be enough.  I have to allow myself enough time after eating to let myself feel satisfied with what I have eaten.
I can't really trust being able to feel full.  I get satisfied but rarely full.  When I do feel full I have to be conscious of how uncomfortable it is and how much I like it when I don't feel uncomfortably full, but satisfied.  I, too, am afraid of stretching my pouch.  I had a sleeve previously and I remember always pushing the amount I could eat until I reached the point that I could basically eat as much as I could before surgery.  Now I try to aim for a little less then I need instead of a little more.  I enjoy being satisfied with smaller amounts.
I hope you are able to get the help you need.  One thing that has helped me is 12 step programs.  It helps address the physical, emotional and spiritual aspects and helps me find other ways to fill the food that I have tried to fill with food.  Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Shanneee
on 8/22/11 4:06 am - MN
*hand raised*  I also identify with you!  Prior to considering WLS I found a new psychologist that dealt specifically with eating disorders.  I went to her for about a year and talked mostly about my eating habits, binging habits and other misadjusted attitudes around food.  Although the purpose wasn't to "lose weight" per se, I did get a little frustrated that while going my weight kept going up, up, up. 

When I finally brought the idea of WLS up to my psych she told me that although she had seen a lot of WLS failures, she would support me in any way I needed.  Apparently many people who fail at WLS turn to counseling after their failure.  Makes sense to me. 

Anyways, she cleared me for surgery despite my initial concerns on binge eating.  With her help I had mostly gotten the "out of control" binging on junk food and such under control.  However, I am still seeing her after surgery because I know that many of the feelings I had about food before sugery are going to be exacerbated now that I "can't" or am not supposed to be eating large quantities of the bad foods.  

Does your psychologist deal specifically with food related issues?  If not, I'd suggest finding one who does.  It made a world of difference for me when I switched to a psych dealing with eating disorders!  You also may be able to get in a little sooner.

Eaither way, good for you in realizing your problem.  It's so easy for people to say "well, just stop eating then" or a host of other comments that really aren't helpful.  But realizing the problem and reaching out for help will make a world of difference!
LORI S.
on 8/22/11 4:43 am
I can raise my hand also. I need to be making the appointment to talk to the psychiatrist that I talked to prior to surgery. He had to approve me from a mental standpoint as req'd by insurance company. With a $40 co-pay for each visit and a up-coming surgery in October, money is going to be really tight till the first of the year. Would anybody feel like having a closed discussion group on Facebook?
samsander
on 8/22/11 5:27 am - CA
Hand raised as well.

Good luck!

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

Heidi L.
on 8/22/11 5:29 am - San Jose, CA
RNY on 09/21/10 with
Lori, sounds like a good idea.

I have to wait until Permanent Fund Dividends come out in October. My co-pay is 50% of the $170 visit. I had just enough money to do my 10 visits with her to get approval for surgery, but am now finding that I need her support right now.

Yes, my psychologist is trying to strictly deal with those battling obesity and seeking WLS. I didn't realize I had a problem until I was looking up information to see what was wrong with my 9 year old sister, this morning. She is the only skinny kid in our family and refuses to eat. She HATES fat. I think she was born into the wrong family. *L*

Didn't realize that what I had been doing was called Binge Eating Disorder. I normally binge on semi-healthy whole grains, not cookies or chips but it all adds up and make me feel so guilty. Just can't seem to stop my endless wandering in search of "something".

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

AnneGG
on 8/22/11 8:33 am
Yup, count me in! I find 12-Step thinking the most helpful- one day, one moment at a time. And keep nothing I like to binge on in the house. I wish the urges would go away, and that they were easier to deal with. I feel your pain!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

JENNI-8yrsPostOP
on 8/22/11 8:36 am
There are some good medications out there for OCD and other compulsive disorders. I know a few post ops who were put on Luvox years ago and that helped with the binge eating (and other compulsions they couldn't handle alone) and since then there have been new meds introduced that do the same. Find a good counselor.therapist or shrink, get on some meds that can help you. You don't have to do this alone. Medications in the right dose and talk therapy can virtually
eliminate the need to binge eat or other compulsions related to food. Good Luck.
Jen 9 yrs post op
qnmimi
on 8/22/11 10:16 am - Cottage Grove, MN
Me too!! I struggle daily, sometimes minute by minute not to eat constantly. Thank god I'm just not able to eat like my head seems to think it should sometimes. I have a lot of coping mechanisms, but I have weak moments too. It's always reassuring to know I'm not the only one.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 397 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 386 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 256 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 323 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics