weight loss stall 17 days post opt

crystal P.
on 8/27/11 7:07 am - KY
hello everyone I had my RNY on 8-10-11 and the first week  and a half I lost really good but for the last 5-6 days I have been at a stand still and the weight loss has stopped

does anyone have any suggestions? I am so frustrated, tell me that this will pass, the NUT told me not to get discouraged because it would pass and to just be patient, but that is easier said than done

have you all went through a stall this soon after surgery? if so can u tell me about it and if it passed and how you dealt with it

surgery date RNY 8/10/11, HW 345, SW 323, CW 308, GW 155-160, SGW 135

"what doesnt kill me, can only make me stronger"        
azambesi
on 8/27/11 7:20 am - Milton, FL
I know that it's tough to just sit back and try to let things take their course... I have found - since very early out - that I will stay the same for 4 or 5 or even 10 days and then I lost a bunch of weight literally overnight. 

Why does that happen? I have no idea. But after driving myself crazy on my scale for the first 2 months, I finally decided to put my scale in my husband's posession (because no matter how many times I told myself that I would only weigh in once a week, I still found myself on the scale daily or more) and he gives it to me on Sunday mornings to weigh in. 

Trust me when I say that this helps! You might not lose for 5 days and then lose 3 pounds on day 6 - if you're only weighing in once a week - you'll never know that you didn't lose those 5 days! 

Good Luck! Now is the time for healing - the weight will come off...

crystal P.
on 8/27/11 7:26 am - KY
thank you for the advice, I guess I should put my scale up since it is in my bathroom and I see it everytime I go in there, so I might get my boyfriend to do the same thing, that is a good idea

but you know it seems like it is not going to come off like I want it to, I am so frustrated, but your advice helped, it has to eventually come off, right, well at least I hope so

surgery date RNY 8/10/11, HW 345, SW 323, CW 308, GW 155-160, SGW 135

"what doesnt kill me, can only make me stronger"        
angel3
on 8/27/11 7:36 am
 I had my surgery on 7/6 weighed 192 day of surgery.I am now 170and have been for  like a month now.On 8/6 I was back in hospital-bleeding ulcer.I am also getting discouraged butNUT and doctor both said not to get discouraged my body has been thru alot.but I know how discouraging it is
Kathy B.
on 8/27/11 9:42 am - ME
It's the infamous 3 week stall! Mine hit at week 3 and no weight loss for over 2.5 weeks! It will pass. Your body is in shock.

SoulLips
on 8/27/11 9:44 am - Cloverdale, CA
Starting at about 3 weeks after surgery, I stalled for almost 7 weeks.  I think it's REALLY unusual for a stall to last that long so early out.  This plateau WILL pass, I can assure you!
Start weight: 306   Surgery weight: 282   Current weight 199.5

Kathleen W.
on 8/27/11 10:29 am - Lancaster, PA
Remember, you had major surgery 17 days ago that changed your stomach.  Your body finally realized that you had bypass and is screaming WTF did you do to me? Trust me, it's perfectly normal.  We all go through it. For some of us, we'll go through it A LOT.  Your Nut is right.  It will pass.  The other thing that  you'll find out is that, while you might not lose weight during this plateau,  you  will be losing inches.   It's so worth it.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

maggiet
on 8/27/11 11:40 am - Durham, NC
You are right on schedule. we all had this stall you are in right now. but it does eventually go away. really truly. I know it feels horrible right now but this is what the progression is like. You'll start to lose again - but do expect to have stalls like this one along the way. You are not alone. This is not your 'fault', it doesn't mean you are the  one person tis doesn't work for. it really is just a stage.

poet_kelly
on 8/27/11 12:11 pm - OH
Not losing weight for five or six days is not a stall.  A stall is when you go for several weeks or longer without losing anything.  Not losing for a few days is just normal weight loss.  That's just how weight loss works.

My suggestion is to stay off the scale since it seems to worry you a lot.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 367 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 473 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 464 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 350 views