Protein shake gurus: How can I cut down the "sweetness"

keepitoff91
on 8/28/11 10:20 pm
I just bought a tub of the Nectar Cappuccino and overall I think the flavor is pretty good.  It is not thick or gritty and does not have that yucky "whey" smell.  BUT, true to it's name, Nectar, it is really SWEET and I'm just not feeling that right now.  I tried to cut it down with a little coffee creamer, didn't help, and a sprinkle of Cinnamon, didn't help.  I also made it with cooled off coffee rather than water.  Didn't help.

Any other ideas?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/28/11 10:36 pm - OH
With SOME protein powders, you can add a little bit of Greek yogurt.  Obviously that won't work for the fruity nectar ones like the Twisted Cherry, but it works well for milky ones (I used it in a super sweet strawberry one) that are too sweet. I have never tried the cappuccino so don't know what it is like.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

psx chelly
on 8/28/11 10:36 pm

I mix all flavors of my Nectar with Vitamin Water ZERO.  No sugar,  and in some cases it enhances the flavor of the Nectar products.  Also, I add WAY more water than suggested.  I add 15oz of water then add 1 scoop of powder... I also refrigerate mine for an hour before drinking... because by then the foam settles down and its all dissolved.

Maybe you can find a nice water product without sugar that will cut down on the sweetness?

Samantha L.
on 8/28/11 11:20 pm - Petaluma, CA
I don't know how well it would work in the Nectar protein, as I only really use Body Fortress, but a little peanut butter blended in gets rid of the nasty "protein" taste and makes them SUPER YUMMY!  Even my teenage daugter likes them! 

I blend 2 scoops of the powder (for 52 g of protein), almond milk (or sometimes soy milk or coconut milk), PB2 (if I have it.. I LOVE the stuff), if I don't have PB2 on hand then I use a tablespoon or so of regular peanut butter and sometimes an ice cube.  Depending on the flavor of the protein powder, I might put a half of a teaspoon of instant decaf coffee and a teaspoon of cocoa powder.  The peanut butter mixed with the coffee and the cocoa powder makes it taste a bit like a peanut butter cup.. only with a darker, less sweet chocolate.  YUM!  All blended together using my Magic Bullet. 

nfarris79
on 8/28/11 11:21 pm - Germantown, MD
 I usually mix my Nectars with more water then they suggest. For chocolate powders, you can add unsweetened cocoa powder; keeps the flavor but makes it just a bit more bitter.

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 11:26 pm - FL
I haven't tried the Nectar brand, but you can add things like Unjury's unflavored protein powder to things like yogurt, etc. for the protein needs.
sjweiser
on 8/28/11 11:42 pm
 Hi I bought Isopure zero carb. My flavor cookies n cream.
(deactivated member)
on 8/28/11 11:50 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Try mixing it with double-serving of cooled instant coffee.  Kind of like an espresso. 

Good luck!
keepitoff91
on 8/29/11 12:47 am
Some really good suggestions! I have been meaning to pick up some instant coffee for awhile now, unsweetened cocoa would help quite a bit too, I'm sure.

I don't use sugar in my coffee so the blinding sweetness is just too much!

Thanks everyone!

poet_kelly
on 8/29/11 1:50 am - OH
Use more water or milk to mix it with, or less of the protein powder.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 513 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 402 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 13 replies · 49 views
Recent Topics