Weight Gain In Hospital - Did You Do It?? SURVEY!

wynter57
on 8/29/11 12:02 pm - Panama City, FL

Ok, I had my preop on August 16th, then had surgery on August 22nd. I was weighed on August 16th.

They did not weigh me when I went in to the hospital to have surgery, nor did they weigh me before I left the hospital. Today I weighed in and I have only lost 2.2 pounds. Now, this is after I am now on day 12 of NO FOOD and on a low calorie liquid diet for all this time.

I know that some people said they gained weight in the hospital due to iv fluids or something? I was in the hospital for five days. My iv was giving me 75 ml per hour the first two days, then down to 60 ml the next two days and the last day I was on 50ml per hour. I was given nothing but jello and chicken or beef broth for breakfast, lunch and dinner along with all the water I could manage to drink. I really thought I would have shown some amount of weight loss combined with the hospital stay and the 4 day liquid pre-op diet.

Here are my questions:

1. Did you gain weight in the hospital?

2. If you did gain weight, how much did you gain?

3. How much IV fluid were you given (if known)?

4. How long after surgery was the first week you lost weight?

VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

CarolineM
on 8/29/11 12:23 pm
I don't know how much IV fluid I was given, but I gained weight from it. I was either 12 or 15 pounds (can't remember right now) heavier when I went home. By a week later, I'd lost the water weight, plus a couple more pounds.
  HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

wynter57
on 8/29/11 12:25 pm - Panama City, FL

Thanks so much for the info Caroline. I am truly hoping I gained in the hospital because if not, I am sure disappointed with the first week weight loss after this much suffering lol.

Wynter

VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

Zeigled
on 8/29/11 12:28 pm - Parkton, MD
Yes - I gained weight
9 lbs - how annoying was that!!!!
LOTS of IV fluids - probably 12 liters over 4 days
Started losing weight as of day one after being home - lost 40 lbs in the first month.
HW 357 SW 341   

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/11 12:44 pm - OH
I weighed myself at home the morning of my surgery but did not weigh myself again until a week after surgery since I knew the IV fluids would be an issue.  I lost 7 pounds that first week.  I remember feeling VERY bloated when I came home.  My RNY was open and I was in the hospital for 4 days and had a saline drip running the entire 4 days.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

wynter57
on 8/29/11 1:00 pm - Panama City, FL

My stomach still feels very bloated plus I walk bent over due to back pain and rib cage pain, I truly cannot stand up all the way straight which makes my fat belly hang lower than normal and I really feel UGGHHH!!

I love this forum, whenever you think you are alone in your plight you see there are always others who have suffered worse and some who faired better.

Wynter

YankeeRose
on 8/29/11 12:55 pm - Meadville, PA
Yes I gained 33 lbs (yes you read that right - 33 lbs) while in the hospital 5 days. They pumped me full of a lot of fluids but not sure of the amount. I had trouble with my urine (output and concentration). I don't remember exactly how long it took me to lose the 33 lbs gained but I think it was around 1-2 weeks. I remember being so bloated it hurt. I no longer had ankles, I had cankles and my legs were so swollen i had to have help getting into bed. Hang in there, it does get better.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

wynter57
on 8/29/11 12:58 pm - Panama City, FL

Yankee Rose, my goodness! I already had swollen cankles going in but now they are DOUBLE WIDE cankles and feet! Hideous.

So, I am really hoping that the 2.2 pound loss is after losing whatever I may have gained in hospital.

Glad to see I'm not alone on those cankles lol!

Wynter

Lisa R.
on 8/29/11 1:20 pm - CA
Aw, the ONE good thing that happened to me is I did not gain weight in the hospital, I actually lost a lot of weight like 15 lbs in the first week, but then gained 7 of them back a week later :(

You will start to really see results at 3 months out, that is when it really hit for me.  That was the sweet spot where everyone noticed and I needed all new cloths.  

And if you are like me you will hit your first stall at 4 months out!  YUCK!  This sucks

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
hedrider
on 8/29/11 2:18 pm - Midlothian, TX
I weighed 17 pounds more after surgery than I did before.  It was all fluid.  It comes off quickly.  I don't know how much fluid they gave me but I do know they give you a lot to combat the fact that you won't be drinking much after surgery.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
Recent Topics