friend still refuses to believe that NSAIDS cause ulcers!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/31/11 11:37 pm - OH
A friend of mine who had his RNY a year before I did (so he is now 5 years out) had knee surgery several months ago and mentioned that he was taking an NSAID for the inflammation, but when I asked about it he said that he was not taking anything for his stomach.  He said that his RNY surgeon never told him NOT to take them so he was going to continue to take them because they made his knee feel better (and he was not even willing to call the surgeon's office to ask about it).  Two weeks ago he sent an email saying that his PCP was putting him on meds to treat a possible ulcer and if the neds didn't help he would have an endoscopy because it might also be a stricture (which is VERY uncommon many years out!) ... and that he had an ulcer shortly after he had his RNY (which I did not know). 

So I mentioned the NSAIDs again and he said the neither his surgeon or his PCP had said anything so he thought he was ok taking them... even though this is probably his second ulcer since his RNY!

Okey dokey.  Well, at least I tried...

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 8/31/11 11:44 pm - OH
Well.... there are people out there that refuse to believe that smoking is bad for your lungs, too!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kim S.
on 8/31/11 11:45 pm - Helena, AL
Yep-you tried.  Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together can freakin Google it and find out you are RIGHT!

On a side note though........I recently had some arthritis issues and my ortho wanted me to take NSAIDS....he of course told me to talk to my surgeon.  The surgeon told me there are recent studies that show RNY patients can take them for short term therapy.............WITH AN ACCOMPANYING STOMACH ACID REDUCER.  (Which it appears you also asked your friend if he was at least doing that....)  My surgeon told me I could take them up to 6 months with Zantac.  Luckily the issue resolved with more running (I know, sounds like it would do the opposite....) and I haven't taken any since prior to surgery.

You tried....now all that is left is "I told you so"...........

Have a great day.

rbb825
on 9/1/11 6:04 am - Suffern, NY
Wow, that is a scary study - I certainly wouldnt' chance it.  When the few surgeons or GI doctors that I  ever heard of allow NSAIDS for a week or 2 tops, it is with a PPI not zantac.  zantac isn't nearly strong enough to protect your stomach lining and works totally different than the PPI's which actually protect your stomach lining.  I still don't think I would trust it unless taking carafate at the same time.  No RNY Patient should take it on steady basis for 6 months.

I have heard of a few post ops that were given just 2 doses of IV NSAIDS which aren't as harmful but still harmful and they got perforated ulcers.

I personally got ulcers preop from NSAID use - I think it was 4 to 6 months use and that was without an RNY.

Laura in Texas
on 9/2/11 12:53 pm
My plastic surgeon, who works extensively with bariatric patients says we can take NSAIDS for short time use, but I chose to stick with Tylenol after I was done with my prescription pain meds post-plastics. I didn't want to risk it.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

syarbroG-5
on 8/31/11 11:49 pm
Why even chance it !!!!!!!!!!!!!    

Typical commercail where the side effects are worse than the treatment or what ails you!!

IN IT TO WIN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T. Deeds
on 8/31/11 11:55 pm
When he gets a searing pain in his stomach that won't go away, he'll believe!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/1/11 6:55 am - OH
That's the unbelievable thing... he already HAS the pain and is still taking the NSAID to help his knee and won't even ask his RNY surgeon about it!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

ladybugnessa
on 9/1/11 12:21 am - Owings Mills, MD
Amazing... after the pain of a perforated ulcer (have not had an NSAID since before surgery) why would anyone risk it... why would they NOT listen to what others have suffered?
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

Gail P.
on 9/1/11 12:38 am - Lakeland, FL
Hi ,
I just wanted to respond to this mostly becz I had a ulcer in deodum within a year after my surgery,   blood loss.  I failed to reconize the signs of ulcer.  I did go to ER and they said it was just gas pain.  I did have dark black spots when I went to bathroom.   I passed out at work the next day and required 3 pints of blood .
  I was told my surgeon that the stomach acid was what caused it and I had to have the stomach lining cut to avoid one in future.  I had the vagotomy in 1991.  So watching for signs are very important.  
I did have a need to take nsaid for back pain for several years. The PCP told me celebrex was the safest to avoid ulcer.  I had no problem. I started taking Actonel for prevention of Osteo and in 2006 
I had stomach pain mild but pain.  I ended up ER an had imflamed stomach.  So I stopped the meds.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 302 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views