Probiotics speeding up weight loss?

aseg21
on 9/4/11 11:52 pm - Miami, FL
Interesting article from the Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery that suggests probiotics can help alleviate the B deficiency and speed up weight loss - thoughts?

Taking a probiotics supplement after gastic bypass surgery helps patients lose weight faster and avoid vitamin B deficiency, a new study finds.

Probiotics are the "good" bacteria found in yogurt and in dietary supplements that aid digestion.

The Stanford University School of Medicine study included 44 patients who had Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery and were randomly assigned to either a probiotics group or a control group. Both groups received the same bariatric medical care and nutritional counseling and both were allowed to consume yogurt, a natural source of probiotics. Patients in the probiotics group also took one pill per day of a probiotics supplement.

After three months, the probiotics group had a 47.6 percent weight loss, compared with 38.5 percent in the control group. Patients in the probiotics group also had higher levels of vitamin B-12 three months after surgery than those in the control group -- 1,214 picograms per milliliter as opposed to 811 picograms per milliliter, a significant difference since B-12 deficiency is common after gastric bypass surgery.

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

Alice P.
on 9/5/11 12:10 am
I've taken them every day since surgery!
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

melizabeth
on 9/5/11 2:10 am, edited 9/5/11 2:19 am - CA
For those of you that take probiotics do you take a pill or powder form etc. How many milligrams? What brand? Where did you purchase? Is it true you should keep it refrigerated as well as purchase it in the refrigerated section?

Because of malabsorbtion after surgery is it necessary to take a powder or liquid so that we will absorb the vitamins more efficiently?

My surgery is scheduled for 9/20, I'm trying to prepare my medicine cabinet with all the "good" stuff I will need.

Melizabeth

RYN 9/20/11--HW 211--CW120--Extended TT 3/7/13   

GOAL Weight 120 met 18 months post op

Alice P.
on 9/5/11 3:01 am
You can get them in regular stores--ie walmart, target in vitamin section, at drug stores, at Bj's or Sams club.  I buy the capsules--there are a ton of different kinds- culturelle, phillips colon health, align, pearle, etc.  I usually buy a box and switch brands every time I get a new box some sometimes once a month sometimes every 3 months depends where I buy them.  They use to keep them refridgerated (I have used for years when on antibiotics) but don't anymore.  I got capsules because when I was a new post op I could just open them and put them in a drink- i do swallow them whole now.
 HW 278 SW 259 GW 170 CW 142 Ht 5ft 6

Rejoyce
on 9/5/11 12:38 am - Dayton, OH
Very interesting article and another reason to use probiotics, besides the aid to digestion.  Thanks for posting.

Joyce
Life is just a stage I'm going through...
HW:253  SW: 230  CW: 170  GW: 140

Laura in Texas
on 9/5/11 12:41 am
Yep. I've read all those studies, too, and believe it does help me. I take it daily.

Laura

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 9/5/11 12:50 am - Boston, MA
 what brand and dosage do you take?
aseg21
on 9/5/11 2:34 am - Miami, FL
Laura,
What do you take? I'm interested in trying it.. I've looked at Lifeway Kefir but the sugars - oy!

Anyone ever tried the Lifeway Kefir?

Lowest Weight: 145 lbs
Current weight: 148.6 lbs

Total Loss: 226 lbs

_Donna_
on 9/5/11 12:44 am
I eat Activia every morning and it certainly hasn't helped me lose weight fast.

RNY 5-5-2011

shesha81
on 9/5/11 12:49 am - Gardner, MA
What type of probiotics are people using, there are several out there on the market, some are quite expensive. Just wondering already taking so many supplements dont want to waste money on another if it is not going to be worth it. But after reading this think that it would be a good idea to add one more to the ever growing list. Please let me know what you are using!! Thank you!
Alisha  RNY (7/6/11)  HW 284.8/SW281/CW186.2/GW175   

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?