I have to decide...

Debra P.
on 9/11/11 11:18 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 I am one of those patients that has to lose 10% of my weight before surgery. That means 29 pounds.  I am down 14 pounds this month and will most likely be down the other 15 in another month (if I work hard).  That means that I have to decide if I want the RNY or the Sleeve.
I am so torn... I would miss the NSAIDS with the RNY and I would miss the quick loss from malabsorbtion with the Sleeve.  I am really trying to research the best I can, but I don't know if I am missing anything else that would lead me to one decision or another. What can you use instead of NSAIDS by the way ? 
I know this is a RNY forum, but I find the sleevers forum to clique.   

poet_kelly
on 9/11/11 11:23 am - OH
You're welcome to post on the RNY forum while you're deciding which surgery you want.  Actually, if you like hanging out with us, you can keep posting here even if you end up going with the sleeve if you want.

The only over the counter thing you can take since we can't have NSAIDS is Tylenol.  If you need something stronger, you would need a prescription for something like Vicodin from your doc.  The no NSAIDS thing is a bigger deal than I thought it would be before surgery.  I have some back issues I did not have pre op and NSAIDS would help a lot (says my orthopedic doc every time I see him).

the other big issue I can think of is the risk of nutritional deficiencies.  With either surgery you will need to take vitamins for the rest of your life but you will need more after RNY.  If you are good about taking vitamins and you get your labs done regularly and adjust your supplements as needed, the nutritional deficiency thing isn't that big a deal.  You can catch them early and treat them pretty easily, at least most of the time.  If you don't catch them early or don't take the right vitamins, though, you can have very serious problems.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Debra P.
on 9/11/11 11:29 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 Thanks Kelly, You always give such good advice and I like this forum so thanks for having me. 

AnneGG
on 9/11/11 11:37 am
I wish I could help you with your choice, but it has to be yours, between you and your doctor. What does your doctor recommend? Do you know the book "Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies"? It's really good at laying out the options.

I use Tylenol so far for pain. I liked Advil pre-op, but sad to say no more. I haven't had any pain bad enough so far to need anything stronger.

I have no regrets at this point about my RNY. I originally wanted the sleeve, but my insurance wouldn't cover it.

Good for you for your hard work pre-op! I think you will be grateful for it post-op.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Ale L.
on 9/11/11 11:39 am, edited 9/11/11 11:39 am
RNY on 03/08/11 with
i had the RYN 6 months ago. i have had horrible joint issues and back issues for years. but i have not been able to take NSAIDS for about 10 years due to how they bothered my stomach. so, the reason i am saying this is...while RYN did not eliminate my joint or back issues, i have been a lot better since losing so much weight. i don't miss the NSAIDS becuase i have not been able to take them for so long. would it be nice to take and advil once in a while sure...but it is what it is.   i take other meds like tylenol and when it gets really bad something stronger.  but it is managable when it has to be.  

i am sure that you will make the best decision for you and keep up the good work with the initial weight loss.

Debra P.
on 9/11/11 11:48 am - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 Thanks Anne and Ale... I  appreciate the input and the Kudos !!

Lisa R.
on 9/11/11 12:20 pm - CA
 I developed some form of arthritis AFTER my RNY.  I wish I could have NSAIDS now.  My ortho tells me all the time how much he wishes I could take them.

I applied to have the sleeve and was denied and given the RNY instead.  I now wish that I would have fought that decision, but hind site is 20/20 and I just did not know. 

You know, you already need NSAIDS.  If you really think you can go with out them then the RNY will be a good choice for you, it is such a miracle surgery! But NSAIDS are a big issue, so really think about it.  

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
emariepalmer
on 9/11/11 12:33 pm - Santa Rosa, CA
I am two years out with my RNY.  I have lost 120 lbs.  Yes, my knees are not having to carry that load around, but surprisingly, they still hurt.....ALOT.  My doc says I need bilateral total knee replacements.  The cortisone shots no longer work for me and I so miss the ibuprofen.  I was denied the sleeve but was so desperate start the weight loss, that I just went with the alternative RNY..  I believe I also have fibromyalgia, so have constant body aches and tylenol does nothing for it.  I now have to take a Vicodin every morning and every night.  I hate to do that but I could not function if I did not take them.  Nothing else works.  So think hard before you choose which surgery to have.  But despite all I just said....I still would do it over again.
Good luck to you!
Debra P.
on 9/11/11 12:46 pm - CA
VSG on 03/15/12
 Yeah, NSAIDS are kinda important to me. I have bad knees and hips and serious cramps when flo visits. Thanks for giving me your honesty, it means a lot.  

gbsinsatx
on 9/11/11 4:26 pm - San Antonio, TX

I knew about not being able to take NSAIDs for my Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis before I had my RNY surgery. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain so I chose not to use NSAIDs. NSAIDS are not good to take in general for anyone. Since every extra pound is like 4 pounds on your knees, I have relieved myself of 780 pounds of wear and tear on my knees. When I was at my highest weight, I was in severe pain and could hardly move. Now that I have lost 195 pounds I feel awesome and my range of movement has improved greatly. RNY has been the best decision for me and I do not regret having chosen this type of weight loss surgery. I hope you make the best decision you can live with.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

Most Active