when do we stop loosing?

berrixblonde
on 9/13/11 5:01 am - NY
 I am 6 months out and down to 196 from 283. I still have another 50 lbs to go in order to reach a healthy weight. Any reassurance that my body is not done loosing would be great. I feel like the last 50 lbs are going to come off soo slowly, but as long as it happens ill be satisfied. Is there even a slight chance i could be done loosing now or in 10 lbs or so? Thanks guys! - Nicole
RachelRaye
on 9/13/11 5:04 am
I have been wanting to know the same thing.  I'm 3 months out and things have slowed down.  I'm a bit bummed that the weight is not dropping at the same rate.  I feel like my "honeymoon" was too short.

Pholaris
on 9/13/11 5:07 am
The wieghtloss window as described by my surgeon is 12 to 18 months. But that doesn't mean you couldn't lose weight at any point after that.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Barbara C.
on 9/13/11 5:34 am - Raleigh, NC

I had similar concerns when I was where you are in your journey. You are not likely to have finished your journey. Just stay the course. Make sure you are getting in enough, because believe it or not, consuming too little can backfire, causing your body to hold onto more weight because your metabolism drops. That can also make keeping the weight off more difficult, but if you stay in touch with your nutritionist and follow the plan you are likely to keep losing for another 6 months or so. When I had my 6 month appointment they let me know that statistically they expect you to lose about 60% of your excess weight in the first 6 months and the other 40% in the next 6 months, so if you have lost 87 lbs so far, you are likely to lose that 50 lbs before you hit a year. Here is a link to my 6 month post. 

Wishing you continued success,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Katari
on 9/13/11 5:41 am - OR
I was told the best time to lose the weight is in the first 6 months and then you could continue losing until the 12-18 month point just slower than the first 6 months. I did however, stop losing fairly early. Between months 9 and 12 I lost a total of maybe 5 pounds. Just keep doing what your program tells you and you'll continue to lose for a while. I think the "average" weight loss goes from 20 pounds the first month to 10 pounds or so a month through month 6/7 and then slows down even more.
Katie 
Ht. 5'2  HW 234/GW 150/LW 128/CW 132 
Size 18/20 to a size 4 in 9 months!

poet_kelly
on 9/13/11 5:44 am - OH
It would be very, very unusual to stop losing at just six months out.  There is not really a time limit on how long we keep  losing, though.  We stop losing when we begin taking in as many calories as we burn.  I stopped losing about 18 months out, when I made an effort to increase my calories because I did not want to lose anymore.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

ladybugnessa
on 9/13/11 5:51 am - Owings Mills, MD
I was 165 at 11 months out  (august 2010)

I was 155 in January 2011 until around May 2011  I had my PS consults at 155 pounds

I was 150 the morning of my tummy tuck (june 2011)

I lost 5 pounds of skin with the tummy tuck...

I then sadly lost another 10-15 pounds due to a perforated ulcer (some of which I have found again)  I am now between 135 and 140....  it's a good weight for me.. and I eat accordingly.... (i.e. I don't diet I eat protein first and then indulge in whatever else I want whenever I want... but I watch the scale and when it creeps towards 140 I cut back on the junkier stuff)

at 6 months out you are so FAR from being done.

drink your liquids
eat your protein
get some exercise
take the appropriate supplements
do not stress

have patience... this is a for life event not a for next weekend event.

at 2 years out if i wanted to lose 10 pounds I could do it....  it's all about following the rules.
Nessa
Ticker is from Day of Surgery.. weight goal is personal preference as I've MET my doctor's goal

--

HG/SW/CW/GW
286/253/150/151

mrslatch
on 9/13/11 6:19 am - Fort Campbell, KY
You are not done! If you lost 20lbs a month for a year...well, chances are you wouldn't exist! The more you have to lose, the quicker it comes off. The closer you get to goal/normal weight, it does slow down. I'm 20 months out, 3 months postpartum, and still losing. I was 204ish this time last year, was pregnant for 9 months and weighed 206 the morning of my induction on June 8th,I'm now 173. Keep on following your plan and exercising. It will come off! I'm less than 10lbs from normal BMI, so I fully understand and expect these last few pounds to take a little while to come of. Its normal!
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

Nan2008
on 9/13/11 6:44 am - Midland, MI
You are far from being done losing.  I lost 160 lbs in 13 months.  It may slow down a bit after 6 months, but for some it doesn't.  I was told the 'honeymoon' period was would end between 12-18 months but by no means does that man that you will stop losing.  It all boils down to are you burning more calories than you are taking in and if so, you will continue to lose.

My three kids also had surgery in 2010 and all of them have experienced the same thing I have my daughter was still losing at 14 months out and my two sons are just 9 months out, but still losing (I posted a thread earlier titled - 650 lbs lost). 

Keep up the great work!! By no means are you done losing and you will lose that last 50 before you know it!!

Take care,
Nan

Nan

HW 300
/ SW 280 / CW 138 /
GW 140
Hit Goal 4/2/2010

PATT317
on 9/13/11 6:50 am - Feasterville-Trevose, PA
I had RNY December 30, 2009.  This past March (15 months post op) I thought I was DONE losing.  I had shoulder surgery and was working PT etc and went from 183 to 168.  What was amazing to me was that at my heaviest I was 368, so I can now honestly say I LOST 200lbs!
Patt
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 204 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 20 views