iron questin

Kristen M.
on 9/18/11 7:26 am - VA
I am suppose to take two 65mg iron pills a day...i was wondering if i could take them both at the same time?  
What you do today creates every tomorrow-Oprah    
poet_kelly
on 9/18/11 7:31 am - OH
Yes.  If you take them with some vitamin C (200 mg for every 30 mg iron, so about 800 mg) that will help the iron be absorbed better.  Make sure you take them at least two hours away from your calcium.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kristen M.
on 9/18/11 7:33 am - VA
 so i have to buy a bottle of vitamin c before I can do it? my doc says take calcium 4 hours apart from iron.  I can't take it without the vitamin c? 
poet_kelly
on 9/18/11 7:37 am - OH
No no, I'm sorry.  I wasn't clear there.  You CAN take the iron without the vitamin C.  If you don't have vitamin C right now, still take your iron.

Get some vitamin C when you get a chance.  Buy any brand, the store brands are usually pretty cheap.  But you do not need to wait until you get the C to start your iron.

If your doc says four hours away from calcium, that's fine.  I do my iron at night right before bed, which is several hours after my last calcium.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kristen M.
on 9/18/11 7:38 am - VA
 thank you. i've been on iron...i just don't like taking it twice a day. so you take 2 65mg right before bed? i just feel like taking them both at the same time will help me with taking my vitamins.
poet_kelly
on 9/18/11 7:45 am - OH
I only take 75 mg iron.  The brand I have is 25 mg per pill so I take three of them.  I take them right before bed, along with 500 mg C and a couple prescription meds.

I'm sure taking them at the same time will hellp with getting all your vitamins in.  If we have to remember to take something ten different times a day, it gets really easy to forgot about one or two.

Susan_U
on 9/18/11 10:33 am - Ontario, CA
I have a question about taking so much iron every day.  Since women only need 18 mg of iron per day (27 if pregnant) & men only need 8 mg, are there...consequences to taking so much? Or does the RNY surgery change things?

I ask because back when Thrifty's (wihich is now Rite Aid) had a food counter there was one week when they had a liver dinner special.  And being as I love liver I ate there every night that week.  And I suffered the consequences.  To be delicate let's just say that suppositories were my friend at the end of that week... 
poet_kelly
on 9/18/11 10:37 am - OH
Women with normal intestines only need 18 mg iron per day.  RNY does change things.  Most of our iron gets absorbed in the top part of our small intestine, but after RNY, that part of our intestine has been bypassed.  It can no longer absorb anything.

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says that menstruating women need 54-63 mg iron a day after RNY and everyone else needs 36 mg.

And yes, taking large amounts of iron can cause constipation after RNY.  We can reduce that issue by taking carbonyl iron or heme iron.  Ferrous sulfate and the other iron salts contain a lot of, well, iron salts along with elemental iron.  The iron salts are primarily what causes constipation.

Susan_U
on 9/18/11 10:45 am - Ontario, CA
Thanks Kelly.  Other than the iron in multivitamins, no one has said anything to me about taking iron.  Should I start since my surgery is so close, or wait until after?
poet_kelly
on 9/18/11 10:48 am - OH
If your iron level is good now as far as you know, I think it would be fine to wait until after surgery.  The ASMBS suggests starting your iron as soon as you are discharged from the hospital, the same time they say to start your multivitamins.

Most Active
Recent Topics