Just out of hospital from post-op complications

ladyprof
on 9/18/11 2:06 am - Marion, AR
Haven't posted in a while because I've been dealing with a fairly serious situation.  I went back to work last Monday half-time but felt worse and worse as the week went on.  On Wed. about 9 days after surgery the doctor took out my drain pump and all was okay for a couple of days until the drain site got hot and hard and painful.  It broke open leaking blood and pus.  I called my surgeon who said it would be okay, just use hydrogen peroxide and call if my temp went over 101.  My temp got lower, not higher, down to 96.  I felt draggier and draggier.  Finally on Wed. Sep. 14 the pus coming out of the drain site turned green and kind of snot-like (gross), also quite heavy.  II woke up Thursday thinking I just could not work so I called my doctor again.  I ended up getting a CT scan where they found two abscesses and admitted me to the hospital.  The abscesses were very deep.  I don't know if it's my fault or something that happened in surgery.  Friday they were going to do a surgical procedure to go in and drain those abscesses but would leave a pump in for up to six weeks.

For the days I was in the hospital I got lots of fluid, lots of IV antibiotics< and lots of potassium since mine was low.  I had an ultrasound which showed the abscesses were shrinking in response to the antibiotics so the doctor said I didn't need the procedure after all.  I got to come home.  I have to pack the wound with iodine strips three times a day and am taking oral antibiotics (have to open the capsules and the powder tastes awful).

I am, of course, glad to be home but also discouraged.  I am so swollen, about 10 lbs heavier than my low.  I have to stay off work and rest all week.  This is a time I ought to be exercising and losing and feeling better, but I feel like I'm having to start over in some ways, with eating, for instance. 

Sorry to be a downer.

Debbie

kellyl1202
on 9/18/11 2:09 am
sorry you are having so much trouble & hope you will be feeling better soon.  Just try to take it easy so you can recover sooner rather than later.   Good thing the abscesses are clearing up without surgery.
Kelly L  
5'ft 1in   RNY 9/12/11
301 HW / 287.7 SW / 216 CW / 150 GW

cajungirl
on 9/18/11 2:14 am
Sorry to hear this, Debbie. Try not to very discouraged, let the site heal then you can start your exercise program. It's very common when on IVs to see a weight higher than before being on them. It's just fluid you will lose it soon.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

JudiJudi T
on 9/18/11 2:33 am
Hope you get to feeling better soon.  Find out if you can put the antibiotic powder in applesauce - maybe that will mask the taste. 

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

ReggieVeil
on 9/18/11 2:38 am
Oh Debbie, I'm sorry you've been going through this!  I would be frustrated too.  Try to be easy on yourself and know that your weight loss WILL happen.  I hope you start to feel better soon!

Best,
Reggie

High Wt: 280       Start Wt: 245         Surgery Wt:    
       Goal Wt: 135
D-J
on 9/18/11 7:11 am
Oh Debbie it's so hard to start the journey off like this i know,i had to go back to the hospital the day after i got out of the hospitaland had to saty for another week with heart palitations,,very hard to get back on track but trust me it's does get better,,the heavier lbs i'm sure are from the fluids they pumped into you so that should go down quickly,,i am so relieved to know you are healing from the abcesses thru antibiotics instead of another surgery,,

i absolutly will be praying for you hun ,God speed your recovery.
christinalee
on 9/18/11 11:02 am, edited 9/18/11 11:02 am - At Home in, NH
I know from where you come (had similar issues). But you know what, think of the things you are learning:

1) you now know how to pack a wound (even if you aren't a nurse and don't play one on TV
2) you did nothing wrong
3) you are aware of and have tested the strength and fortitude you have
4) you are a strong, capable woman!

Plus, you didn't have to have another surgery (antibiotics rule even if they taste like crap)

And as corny as it sounds, time does heal all wounds. You are going to be amazed at how well you recover and where this journey will take you.

Just keep breathing....in and out (and smile every once in a while).

"Just keep swimming." ~ Dorrie

Most Active
Recent Topics