did I do this for nothing?

momgwen5
on 9/19/11 2:40 am - Westlake, LA
my RNY wls was 10/13/10 weight was 229 lbs. I lost weight slowly, 57 ibs from DOS thru beginning of June. I have not lost any since June, well not entirely true, I have lost and gained the same 5 lbs over and over. The scale FINALLY dropped 2 lbs last week. I am almost at the 1 year anniversary, did I blow this? When I saw my dr. in may I asked about the slow weight loss and he said I started at a lower weight than most of his surgeries and my weight loss was on track for me, but a 3 &      1/2 month stall, I thought I would be at goal. I guess I should hang in there since I feel like the stall is over and see if I lose again this week. I just keep reading that the first year is when the majority of weight is lost. Please someone tell me that I haven't missed my chance, that I will still keep losing as long as I keep doing the right things. 
Thanks so much, Gwen

Mary B.
on 9/19/11 3:05 am - Southern, MD
Im not sure why, but if it makes you feel any better, I stalled from month 9-12. I just got the scale to move again, but had to drastically cut the carbs. Im also fighting reactive hypoglycemia, so it is actually helping with that as well.

Wish I had an answer for you, but at least know you arent alone.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Ladytazz
on 9/19/11 3:07 am
How is your eating?  Are you tracking your food?  Avoiding refined carbs?  Even if you plan on being able to eat those things moderately the weight loss phase is not the time to start.  How about protein?  Fluids?  Activities?  Drinking with meals or within 30 minutes afterwards?  Grazing?  All those things will affect your weight loss.  There is a thread where people go and put down their menu for the day.  Check it out and get some ideas and put yours down for some feedback.  
If you are doing all those things and still not losing weight then maybe you need your labs checked.  Are you taking any medication that affects your weight like steriods?

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

mrslatch
on 9/19/11 3:30 am - Fort Campbell, KY
I ditto all the above questions about calories, protein, activity, and fluids, but I also have to ask you how tall you are. Is 110 honestly a realistic goal for you?
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

momgwen5
on 9/19/11 4:14 am - Westlake, LA
 I am 5'1" tall. I told my dr that 120 was a good weight for me when I was younger. He said that I should try for 110 lbs, that is the weight charts avg for my height. I have gone from a size 24 to a size 14, and have been able to stop taking several meds. I had the full bloodwork panels done last week. Thyroid meds had to be increased, had low vit. D, and calcium. Every thing else was normal. I journal my diet on my fitness pal and rarely eat above 1000 cals, I looked at several days journaled and haven't been getting enough protein. I will take your check out the forum.
thanks so much.

cajungirl
on 9/19/11 5:38 am
Gwen, I'm 5'1" also and I believe 110 lbs may be too small for you.  I'm at 114 lbs this morning and this is too small for me.  I think Dr. Shimer is being way to aggressive on what he defines as your goal. 

BTW, good to see someone local posting.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/11 4:28 am
We started at almost the same weight... My scale has been creeping too but I'm determined.
Stalls can be frustrating, but don't give up! If what you are currently doing is not working, then try to change something up in your daily routine.

Do you exercise? How often and what type? Switching your activity routine can sometimes be a great help because if you do the same thing all the time for the same amount of time then it doesn't end up being as effective.
Also what about your diet? Upping your protein count will probably help a great deal as well. It's not always about the number of calories, but the nutritional quality of the calories.
_Donna_
on 9/19/11 4:39 am
I'm a slow loser too. Just keep doing what's right and the weight will come off eventually.
Even though its frustrating, I think losing slow is better than fast because it give the skin time to adjust. (that's what I tell myself anyway)
btw.. 110 is a pretty low goal weight unless you are 4 feet tall. Changing it to a more realistic number may make you feel better about your success.

RNY 5-5-2011

mrslatch
on 9/19/11 4:52 am - Fort Campbell, KY
Depending on your activity, I think maybe adding some calories with protein might help. How much protein are you getting? Just adding in a protein shake might help you with both calories and protein goals. I think switching things up just a bit might be all you need to do. Sometimes eating a little high in calories for a day or two then lowering them some for a few days off and on will boost your body.

I personally think that 110 might be a little low even if you are only 5'1. It is always possible, but keep in mind that in general our bones way a little more after being obease for a period of time. They have to be more dense to support the massive amounts of weight they once had to carry. For instance, I weigh 173lbs...but to be honest, comapred to someone else who was never obese that weights 173lbs, I probably look a bit smaller than them. Simply because more of my weight in in my bones than theirs. Maybe around 125ish would be more reasonable for you? I just looked at the BMI chart for your height and the weights acceptable for your height depending on frame size range from 106-140. Just something to consider!

If your getting close to the weight your body wants to be and that is maintainable, then the weight will come off much slower.
Morgan  My Blog
Proud Army Wife! 

momgwen5
on 9/19/11 5:12 am - Westlake, LA
 I told my dr. that 125-130 was a comfortable weight for me when I was younger, The charts say 109-140, I will shoot for 130 and and anything lower than that will be a cushion. I stopped the protein smoothies that I drank ALOT of the 1st 6 weeks, because I was using alot of fruit, therefore it was adding carbs. since my surgery, I really love fruit. Also I have been having extensive dental work, having to eat mostly soft food. My hubby got me a food processer last week and I have been baking chicken,etc and making meat salads. That helps alot with getting protein. 
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 537 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 519 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 144 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 408 views
Recent Topics