NERVOUS & NEED INSIGHT

Torretta
on 9/19/11 11:56 pm - franklin park, NJ

Does anyone know how long it takes to stretch your pouch if and when it does stretch?  i am  three months out today  and this is constantly on my mind i don't want my pouch to stretch i have not drink any carbonated drinks but some day it seems like i can eat more than other days  i still can really only tolerate mushy things no real meat yet only tuna fish with low fat mayo but mushy or soft things i can eat about 4 to five ounces if i eat that much i do feel stuff and sometimes i think i will get the foamies but nothing comes up.  thankfully and i think that is because it was mushy in the first place.  i just don't want to stretch my pouch i am not at goal weight yet i still have about 200lbs more pounds to lose.

i have another question about exercising any suggestions to help flatten the stomach area i am not small enough yet to get on the floor and do sit ups  i have started walking down stairs  i need to be tougher on myself walking up the stairs  i am developing a strong LIKE  for walking since losing some weight praying it turns into a strong LOVE even go into a trot run .  thanks for any advice

have a great day all.

poet_kelly
on 9/20/11 12:43 am - OH
It is possible to stretch your pouch but that does not happen very often.  It's not easy to stretch it.  The pouch is made from the least stretchy part of your stomach.  Now, your pouch is actually supposed to stretch some in time.  Right after surgery you should only be able to eat two or three ounces of food but one year post op you should be able to eat about a cup or a little more.  To stretch your pouch you would have to eat a lot more than you should again and again.

Carbonated drinks will not stretch your pouch. 

At the top of your pouch is an opening where food and liquids come from your esophagus into your pouch.  At the bottom of your pouch is another tiny opening where the pouch connects to the small intestine.  Before surgery, you had a pyloric valve between your stomach and your small intestine but you don't have that anymore.  Just an opening.

When you drink soda, it comes into your pouch and runs right out the bottom of your pouch.  It's only in your pouch for a minute or two.  Since there are two openings, it is impossible for liquid or gas to build up and stretch the pouch.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/11 1:02 am
As far as the excersizing, I don't think there is any miracle activity that will concentrate on losing fat on just one area. The body will take fat where it feels like taking the fat and sometimes we just have no control over it. (In my case, the boobies ) I recommend doing what ever activity that is the most enjoyable to you.
Ladytazz
on 9/20/11 2:15 am
The real danger is not stretching the pouch but the stoma, the connection between the pouch and the intestines.  From what I understand that is usually caused by consistent overeating of large amounts and can happen if we drink with our meals, pushing the food through.  It is also the reason we are told to chew our food very well.  When the stoma is stretched there is nothing holding the food in the pouch and it goes right into the intestine, in effect creating a large stomach out of the intestines.
This doesn't usually happen quickly, it is the result of overeating over a period of time.  It seems to happen when a person quits being conscientious about the amount of food they are eating.  That is why I am always aware of what I am eating and how much.
If you are concerned about it talk to your surgeon about anything you can do to avoid it.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 307 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 81 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 81 views