traveling for work and nervous about food choices

kishamb
on 9/21/11 10:43 pm - MD
I have to travel today for work to Austin , tx. I will be there food five days. I'm really nervous about eating as I am 3 weeks post op. Hotel food is generally rich even the soups can be a bit much.

Any suggestions.
laura_vermont
on 9/21/11 10:59 pm

Work travel would be challenging at 3 weeks out.  I took a vacation at 2 weeks out but got a room with a fridge & microwave and brought my own food for most meals.

I would definitely pack protein powder & buy milk (if you can tolerate it).  A shaker / blender bottle is adequate for mixing most shakes.   Anything else that is non-perishable and on your meal plan would be good... convenience stores have cheese.  You're probably too early for nuts, but that is another item that I pick up in a pinch.  Now, I would also bring a box of protein bars, a good idea if your plan allows for that.  I was still on purees at 3 weeks.  Ordering out, refried beans were a staple.  I've heard that Wendy's chili is WLS friendly.

Have a good trip! 
Laura

High Weight 278; consult weight 234; Surgery Weight 219 Surgeon's Goal Weight 150 -10/27/10  -  Personal goal weight 140 - Achieved 12/11/10  

missjann
on 9/21/11 11:54 pm
All the suggestions given already are good. When I travel, I still take baby food
with me....really. Sometimes I end up in a hotel where there are no nearby
food places and my choices are sandwiches, pasta and rich foods...yikes.
SO, I take baby chicken sticks- kinda like vienna sausages only without all
the sodium and no pork...all chicken and finger foods and soft and chewy
AND a great source of protein. Then I take sweet potatoes and pears etc.
I also take some pureed chicken and I add it to soups that otherwise don't
have protein...like tomato soup or vegetable soup..it adds protein but
almost no flavor. I can't taste it at all in tomato soup. I'm not so good with
dry protein bars, but they might work for you.  Ask the hotel for a microwave
and a refrigerator due to special diet needs and see if they pony up. Then
you can stop at a nearby market and make your own stuff.  Good luck!
    Jan

Eliza55
on 9/22/11 5:27 am - PA
I travel extensively for work, and I'm still having trouble tolerating any solid food.  I bring individual packets of protein powder (I prefer Syntrax to mix in water), and Unjury Chicken Soup powder, some individual wrapped cheese and babyfood meat.  I put it all in a checked bag, and have no problems.  In meetings, I just tell folks that I'm on a strict doctor's diet, and all is well.  If you going overseas, the cheese may not be acceptable to bring into some countries, but the unopened protein powder is no issue.

I also keep at least 2 protein powder individual packs with me on the plane, and buy a couple of bottles of water once I'm past security at the airport.
Eliza
Consult:239   SW:217  1mo:195  2mo:182  3mo:169   6mo:139  9mo GOAL CW: +2 from underweight

Babs
on 9/22/11 8:12 am - Walker, MI
Have you tried any of the high protein yogurts, cottage cheese, protein shakes made with milk and maybe if no fridge buy a little cooler and pack with some ice and pack a few small things of these type in their? Good luck hope it is working out for you.
I can do it, I can do it, chugga, chugga, chugga said the little train! Thank you Lord for giving me the strength!    
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 266 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 315 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 330 views