2 baby asprin?

Hippy-Chick
on 9/24/11 9:27 am - Bellefontaine, OH

My surgery is coming up on 11/7, and I am shopping and stocking up on everything.  I have not had the final meeting with the nutritionist and pre-op instructions.  Are RNY'ers able to continue their baby aspirin regimen?

kipz303
on 9/24/11 9:42 am
Don't quote me but I don't think we're supposed to have aspirin...best to wait for one of the veterans to answer this one though.

RNY - August 13, 2010

LBL - October 29, 2012

a total of 271 lbs lost!!

Barbara C.
on 9/24/11 9:44 am - Raleigh, NC

Dear Chick,

Be sure to contact your Dr's office and pose this question to them because this is something evaluated on a case-by-case basis and really is getting into the area of medical advice. Generally speaking, people go off their aspirin regimen, but your Dr will be able to evaluate your medical condition and determine what is best for you. 

Wishing you all the best in your journey,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Hippy-Chick
on 9/24/11 9:49 am - Bellefontaine, OH
Thank you Barbara and Kipz- I will discuss with my physician.
poet_kelly
on 9/24/11 9:52 am - OH
Yeah, talk to your doc.  The issue is that we are usually advised to avoid aspirin and all NSAIDS due to the risk of ulcers.  However, if you need baby aspirin for your heart, it may be worth the risk.  I mean, would you rather take a chance at an ulcer or a heart attack?  But it's a decision you should make with your doctor, weighing all the risks and benefits.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Price S.
on 9/24/11 10:11 am - Mills River, NC
I had to go off basically everything before surgery, exp asprin and ibruproten.  Since surgery I was started back on asprin, 81mg for a short while but am off it again.  Again, talk to your Dr.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

qnmimi
on 9/24/11 10:59 am - Cottage Grove, MN
I was allowed to go on baby aspirin about 2 months post op, but only if I take a PPI. Benefit outweighed risk for me.

rbb825
on 9/24/11 4:07 pm - Suffern, NY
My cardiologist put me on the combination of plavix and zocor for heart attack and stroke prevention since I told her that I can not take any aspirin.  I had ulcers preop, so I couldn't take it before either.  Talk to  your doctor but taking aspirin, even baby will put you at risk for ulcers, so you have to decide which risk is more important.

kenhud1
on 9/25/11 12:31 am - Houston, TX
I had this same concern and Kelly's comment exactly echoed my doctor's advice. However, this is something that should be discussed with your physician and surgeon as there is not a one-size-fits-all response. And, it may be that your doc may have you on the aspirin (usually the Enteric coated) and later remove you from it as your co-morbidities decrease.
KenHud
RNY 5/17/10 highest: 407 lb - maintaining a loss of 200+ pounds and enjoying life

Most Active
Recent Topics