Vitamins...again...

macsue
on 9/26/11 2:10 pm - Danville, KY
OK.  I've been taking handfuls of vitamins ever since my rny surgery.   Today, I read something that I have never heard.   Either I missed some really important info, or it is simply not true...   Someone please help!!

I read that we cannot absorb vitamins that are in capsule form.   Is this true?

I also read that we cannot absorb vitamins that are in the oil like D3.   Is this true?

If so, I have wasted hundreds of dollars.....   Also, if it is true, what are the very best ones to get?

Thanks.

Sandra 
<^><^><^>Where there is faith there is hope, Where there is hope there is everything<^><^><^>         
poet_kelly
on 9/26/11 2:12 pm - OH
We CAN absorb vitamins in capsule form.  The capsules are usually made of gelatin (yep, like Jello) and dissolve easily in liquid.

We do NOT absorb vitamins in oil very well because we malabsorb fats and oil is a fat.  We absorb some of it, it's just hard to say how much.  We do better with DRY vitamin D, A, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lorrainecma
on 9/26/11 10:43 pm
 I use the dry D2. It very inexpensive. Also, I found a dry A at Swanson. It's called Allergy A. It was made for people allergic to fish oil, but is perfect for us since we cannot absorb the fat.

marioluigi
on 9/27/11 1:35 am
 I thought the D2 needed to be converted by the body to D3 or somesuch.  Maybe Kelly or Lora or someone can explain, but it seems like D2 wasn't supposed to be as good.
poet_kelly
on 9/27/11 1:56 am - OH
You're correct.

D2 must be converted to D3 in the body in order for the body to use it. It takes a fair amount of D2 to make a little bit of D3. I’ve seen anywhere from three units of D2 to make one unit of D3 to ten units of D2 to make one unit of D3.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 9/27/11 1:57 am - OH
We really need D3, though.  D2 must be converted to D3 in the body in order for the body to use it. It takes a fair amount of D2 to make a little bit of D3. I’ve seen anywhere from three units of D2 to make one unit of D3 to ten units of D2 to make one unit of D3. So you'd need to take up to ten times more D2 than D3.

Lorrainecma
on 9/27/11 4:31 am
 Oh crap.....that's what I meant...oops!!! Thanks Kelly!

Most Active
Recent Topics