Ulcers

wild4mymp
on 9/26/11 10:00 pm - Fort Drum, NY
For those of you who have developed ulcers after RNY, did your Dr put you on Nexium or anything to prevent them?  If so did you get them anyway  My Dr has me on Nexium for a year post op, if you did the same did you develop the ulcers after the year was up and you stopped the meds?

Donna

Dave Chambers
on 9/26/11 11:39 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Most surgeon's have RNY patients on Prilosec or Nexium for at least 3 months post op to aid in healing of surgery.  I am aware of a few post ops who continue on this medication LONG RANGE (possibly forever) due to discomfort in pouch area.  I personally heard from a support group member a couple of weeks ago that I know well. He did everything right, lost 140 pounds and seemed to be doing fine. Then at 14 months post op, he had a abdominal pain for about a day. The pain went away, and he thought it was indigestion.  About 2 weeks later he had a "tar consistnecy and color" in his stool. He called his PCP, and was told to go to the ER immediately.  He was scoped right away. He had ulcers.  He didn't smoke or drink either.  His only comment was that ate "a lot" of citrus fruits during these past summer months. He spent 2 days in the hospital on fluids and is taking Nexium twice daily for at least a month, and has to return in a month for another scope.  Most post ops don't end up with ulcers, nor do they take Nexium, etc. forever. But the one example I noted just shows it can happen for a variety of reasons. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Sunshinelvr11
on 9/27/11 12:29 am
I had RNY in april, and i have always taken a daily pepcid because i have always had heartburn and gerd even prior to surgery. Well last month or so i have had major issues with food, and nausea. They dx me with ulcers and put me on a protonix because the pepcid and nexium was not working. I have been on it for a week and feel much better with the abdominal pain but i am still with the nausea...i just hope this passes soon!  But from what i have heard i know many who have had ulcers after surgery..........
rbb825
on 9/27/11 6:56 pm - Suffern, NY
from my experience, I have noticed that the people that only take PPI's for 3months are the ones that end up with ulcers during the first year post op.  our pouches are new and need time to heal. Our system also eventually stops producing acid but for some reason it doesnt' happen right away.  I have read about a dozen posts this week alone of newbies with ulcers that either werent told to take PPI's at all, just for 1 month or the others for 3 months.  My surgeon and the other 4 that I went to before I made my decision all require you to take it for 1 year. I personally need to take it for life due to history of ulcers preop and reverse reflux surgery during RNY.

rbb825
on 9/27/11 6:59 pm - Suffern, NY
My surgeon puts everyone on a PPI for  1 year and then it depends on your history and how you are doing if you can stop it.  If you have a history of ulcers or reflux, then you stay on them for life, if you are fine then you can stop them for a 3 month trial and if symptoms come back, you go back on them or else you can stay off of them.

Most Active
Recent Topics