It's Stuck

NikkiV
on 9/27/11 1:43 pm - OH
I ate some baked chicken tonight and it got stuck. I'm horrible pain, nausea and saliva is coming up. I waited for about an hour then got a hold of the bariatric fellow on-call. He said to wait it out till am, and if it is still stuck, I need an endoscopy tomorrow. Just wondering if there are any quick tips to get it down, i've been tryin to sip water as he suggested. Any other tips would be helpful.

Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 1:53 pm - FL
I've had dry chicken get stuck a couple of times.  There isn't much to do sometimes but to give into it and throw up and yes unfortunately it has taken a while that way too.  Usually if it won't go down, it will go up.  You get pain, foamies, mucus, etc. which is all the bodies self-defense to get it up.  I have found that walking helps and even a bouncy walk.  You can try also taking really tiny sips (and i mean tiny to see if that will soften it up some.  But don't drink larger sips because it will hurt has it goes past the food.  Just some ideas.  I hope it helps.  Oh, warmer liquids help more than cold big time!
LJ1972
on 9/27/11 1:53 pm - FL
personally sipping water just makes it worse. If you are able or have someone who is, and if you are desperate enough to make a trip this late - go get some papaya enzyme from Walmart or a 24hr pharmacy. It helps break down proteins.

I have heard folks say laying kind of propped up on your left side, curled up helps, but I have never tried it
Ksan32
on 9/27/11 1:55 pm - AZ
Make your self throw up. I have had to at least 3 times on chicken. My arch enemy!

I am currently at 130 lbs 10 pounds below goal weight!

Ksan32
on 9/27/11 1:59 pm - AZ
Drinking water makes you throw up during this.....I'm so sorry it is a awful feeling.

I am currently at 130 lbs 10 pounds below goal weight!

ssgoodri
on 9/27/11 2:07 pm
I have had this same problem 3 times in the last 5 days, I tried to hold off throwing up for about 2hrs but then I had to give in...  The first time I felt horrible afterwards (sickly), however the 2nd and 3rd time I felt SOO much better.  But as someone stated, it doesn't always come up immediately, sometimes it takes a little while.  I HATE throwing up, but I felt much better afterwards..  Trying to use fluids to move it, just made things worse. :)

Hope you feel better soon!

Shannon
We've only just begun!  

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/11 3:00 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
Don't fight it; let it come back up. You'll feel SOOO
much better.

Chicken is hard for a lot of us; somehow the breastmeat is
just too dry. Try using it in a chicken salad dish, with some
mayo to make it slicker.

Good luck!
Infogal
on 9/27/11 3:09 pm
So sorry your going thru this especially at night! Papaya enzyme works great for me and it's pretty quick at relieving the pain. However if you don't have any now, you can type in meat tenderizer on the top in the search section and you will come up w/ alternative things you can try. Never tried them myself but they might help you. Hope you feel better soon.
Infogal            
NikkiV
on 9/28/11 10:32 am - OH
Thank-you all for your support!! I wanted to throw up but all that I got was foamies. . . Ughhhh! Eventuallly it passed with sips of water. And thank God, cause I didn't want to make a trip to the hospital. I have learned a hard lesson lol I will chew better and slower from now on!!!!  I guess it's still an adjustment even after having the surgery in July. I'm really greatful for all of your support.

Thanks!

ShannonC831
on 9/28/11 7:56 pm - NY
Drink water fast and make yourself throw up
Most Active
Recent Topics