B12 Vitamins

Lisa G.
on 9/30/11 1:21 am - Louisville (southern Indiana Actually), KY
Can B12 vitamins be taken orally (not the sublingual or injections)?   Thanks!  
   Sleep Tight, America
   PROUD ARMY MOM
   My Sons Have Your Back

poet_kelly
on 9/30/11 1:24 am - OH
Not if you want to absorb them.  Not only has the place they get absorbed in the small intestine been bypassed, but you also need something called intrinsic factor to absorb B12 from your stomach (or pouch) and your pouch has very little of that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa G.
on 9/30/11 1:41 am - Louisville (southern Indiana Actually), KY
Thanks Kelly!
   Sleep Tight, America
   PROUD ARMY MOM
   My Sons Have Your Back

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/11 2:27 am - RI

My surgeon has me on a B-Complex pill... is that not correct to be on ?
poet_kelly
on 9/30/11 2:58 am - OH
The ASMBS says a B complex is optional.  It's not incorrect to take one, but unless it's a sublingual that contains at least 350-500 mcg B12, it's not meeting your B12 needs.  You'll need to take B12 in addition to the B complex.

You can get B12 in a sublingual, a nasal spray, a patch or shots.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

rbb825
on 9/30/11 3:23 pm - Suffern, NY
b complex isnt a great idea.  You need to take a high dose of B12 sublingually -a minimum of 1000mcg daily - most need alot more but this is where most start until there first set of labs.  In a b complex, you get all the other b vitamins which aren't necessary.  Most of us tend to run high on vitamin B6 which can run toxic and if you take extra in a b complex, that will just make it worse.  The niacin and riboflavin we get in our multis.  What you do need is vitamin B1 or thiamine which you should take by itself - 100mg taken daily.  Most b complexes dont' have any it in or not enough.  B1 deficiency is very serious leading to nerve damage, the same as B12 deficiency and B6 toxicity.

Dave Chambers
on 9/30/11 4:40 am - Mira Loma, CA
High doses of B12 may keep levels middle range, but will not offer post ops the 900-1000 levels desired. Sublinguals or shots are the answer.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

lanagirl
on 9/30/11 6:34 am
what does sublingual mean? My dr has me on oral b-12, 1000 mcg per day. I was given the option and I figured why go to the dr every month for a shot if I didn't have to. I guess I'll find out when they test me in 3 months if it's working.

poet_kelly
on 9/30/11 7:55 am - OH
Sublingual means it dissolves under the tongue.  Sub=under, lingual=tongue.

You don't have to go to the doctor every month for a shot, you can do them at home if you want to.  I do one once a week.

Please don't wait three months to start taking the correct type of B12.  B12 deficiency can cause PERMANENT nerve damage in your hands and feet.

lanagirl
on 9/30/11 9:41 am
O.K. mine is the dissolve under the tongue. I considered this orally, cause I put it in my mouth. I don't have any labs scheduled until my 3 month check, do you feel sublingual is inferior to the shots? Mr Dr made it sound as if it is was equal, but from your ealier post it's sounds like you don't think anything injested will work as well as the shots.

Most Active
Recent Topics