NSAID's

Smileygrl810
on 10/5/11 11:03 am
What the heck do people take, prescription and non prescription, for inflammation of anything on their body? We aren't supposed to take NSAID's and I get it but.... I'm having some issues and my doctor prescribed me zipsor. She's aware of my surgery and that's why she prescribed it to me. However, after reading about it, it's a NSAID.  I checked the list of meds we shouldn't take after surgery on this website and it's not on there. So do you think I'm safe??? I'm not sure what to do. Please help!!!!

Yours truly,

Full of inflammation (a.k.a. Kelly) 

Highest Weight: 318 lbs
Surgery Weight: 265 lbs
Current Weight: 183 lbs
Goal Weight: 145 lbs 
hlacy
on 10/5/11 11:12 am - Chandler, AZ
I would not take it personally. Since Tylenol does not do a thing for me, I have Tramadol which I like. I also resort to the vicodin if I need something strong. I try to only take that if I have to, because of the possible constipation. I don't seem to have that issue with Tramadol. 

At my pharmacy, I have my file flagged that I am allergic to NSAIDs. I am not, but I figure it's the safest flag to have on file to make sure I don't get one on accident and waste my money on a script that I can't use.
"Keep a green tree in your heart and perhaps a singing bird will come"           

jmelyn1977
on 10/5/11 11:42 am
I would not take it as well. It says right on the page that the Zipsor IS a NSAID.

poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 11:55 am - OH
No, if it's an NSAID it's not safe.  Whatever list you're looking at probably doesn't list all NSAIDS, just some of the more common ones.

We can use steroids for inflammation. 

I think you need to call the doc tomorrow and remind her that you should not take NSAIDS and ask what else she can recommend.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

timchase01
on 10/5/11 12:38 pm
 Are the NSAID creams ok to take since you don't have them going through your pouch?
poet_kelly
on 10/5/11 4:00 pm - OH
No.

NSAIDS can cause ulcers because they cause the lining of the stomach (the old stomach and the pouch) to thin out.  This does NOT happen when the medication enters the pouch or touches the pouch.  It happens when the medicine enters your blood stream.  That’s why you can get ulcers in your old stomach.  NSAIDS taken by mouth don’t touch the old stomach but can still cause ulcers there.

Any way you take an NSAID – pill, liquid, shot, IV, patch, gel – it gets into your blood stream.  If it does not get into your blood stream, it will not give you any pain relief or relieve inflammation.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tessac
on 10/5/11 3:13 pm
I agree with Lisa. I would call the doctor.
 TJ    
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 6 views