Arterial Blood Draw Pre-Op

Sunbunnyqt
on 10/6/11 2:59 am, edited 10/6/11 3:01 am - FL
All,<br />
<br />
Did anyone else have an arterial blood draw as part of their pre-op testing?<br />
<br />
I asked them why and they said it was to compare with a draw after surgery. <br />
<br />
Does anyone know exactly what this blood can tell them that a regular blood draw would not? They also did a garden variety blood draw for a CMP.<br />
<br />
I've never had this done on any prior surgeries.<br />
<br />

labellavita1982
on 10/6/11 3:32 am - Neenah, WI
I didn't have to have it done.

HW-500lbs SW-381 CW-235 GW-185
Steph
Karleigh B.
on 10/6/11 3:38 am - CA
RNY on 11/01/11 with
 They usually do this to get an accurate reading of the Oxygen levels in your blood.
"If we lose, then it was worth fightin for. If we win, we only live to fight again" 
       Cee-Lo Green

Annette O.
on 10/6/11 4:01 am - Hyde Park, NY
RNY on 09/19/11 with
I had this done during my pulmanary evaluation and it hurt like HELL! I've had a lot of blood drawn and never more than a pinch even with a bad vampire (lol). But that arterial blood draw almost had me in tears. I was told it was to check blood gasses.
Annette O
CarolineM
on 10/6/11 5:25 am
 I've heard that an arterial blood draw is used to check if smokers have actually quit smoking, to see what their oxygen and carbon dioxide levels are. 
  HW 400   SW 355    CW 178   GW 180           5'10"

tamara55
on 10/6/11 9:19 am
I'm not sure why some docs are doing it now and I'd sure like the rational for it. When I worked as an RN years ago it wasn't a standard pre-op test. My husband has prostate surgery a year ago they did it then and I wondered why for such a minor operation on a healthy male. The nurse couldn't give me an answer and I forgot to question the surgeon. All I know is ABG draws can be very painful!
Sunbunnyqt
on 10/6/11 9:37 am - FL
Thanks everyone. It was a lot more painful than a regular blood draw. I have never smoked so if it was only for that I hate the fact they could not take my word for it. However, I can understand why it is imperative for someone to quit smoking before this kind of life altering surgery. I don't see why they wound test again after the surgery though and that's what the RN said would happen. I don't think anyone is going to light up while on the operating table. Sorry, for the black humor...
Oxford Comma Hag
on 10/6/11 1:58 pm
I had one and the rationale I was given was to check lung function by analyzing blood gasses. Maybe your surgeon (not his staff) could give you a direct answer.
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 2:14 pm - Front Royal, VA
RNY on 08/29/11 with

I was supposed to have one for my lapband surgery in 2007, when she explained what they were going to do, I refused it, told them absolutely there was no way I was having it done, period end of story. If you smoke or have asthma then they will generally do one.

I wasn't ordered one for my RNY surgery at all, but I can tell you, I would have refused it as well.

We have the right to refuse medical test and treatment. :)

jobeth
on 10/7/11 6:27 am - FL

I am Respiratory Therapist and this is one of our responsibilities to draw ABGs (arterial Blood gases)

Unless you have some type of pulmonary problem in your med history or was/are a smoker, I really don't know what it can show the doc. in relation to your WLS.  Maybe as the nurse said for a base line, but unless you have a pulmonary history, or maybe a cardiac issue of some sort its probably not needed. 

They can keep up with your Po2 levels (O2 in your blood)with a pulse oximeter on your finger (the little red light on a clip). Some docs are super careful for your sake...and theirs..(defensive medicine).  I don't blame them as it seems more and more law suits are being filed every day.  Or like I said it might be he just wants to be on the safe side for your safety. 

My WL surgeon insisted on placing a vena cava filter in me.  Actually I'm glad for the extra protection against clots etc.  Its came in handy for my later back and bilateral knee replacements.  So while it may hurt...it can't "hurt" over all, and isn't a major procedure costing major bucks :-D

As for the pain...yep it can be horribly painful. I had nerve damage in my wrist for years because of an ABG.  The problem is that you never know where those nerves are in each person.  Everyone is different and those nerves run so close to the arteries.  On the other hand I've done far more ABGs where the patient was happily surprised to say it didn't hurt at all.  Just the luck of the draw between just where that nerve is located and where you felt their pulse.

jobeth...            
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 77 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??