2 days post-op AND TMI question...

Bama_Wifey
on 10/12/11 8:18 am - AL
I had surgery on Monday and everything went well.  The gas has been my biggest problem.  Last night I thought I was burst!.  I have walked a lot and it seems to help.  I am having a hard time getting in my liquids.  I set a timer this afternoon and trying to sip every 15 minutes but I have not even come close to my goal of 64 oz.  Is this normal?   Also, I have had another issue come up today.  I know its a bit of TMI, but its just really odd.  I do not have the sniffles, runny nose or anything, but today, every time I lean forward and tilt my head to the side, this sticky liquid starts pouring from my left nostril.  No warning whatsoever.  I straighten my head up and it stops.  I dont have any signs of a cold, runny nose, etc.  Could this in any way be related to the surgery?
HW: 337  -  Beginning 6 mo pre-op diet: 319 - Consult: 251  -  SW:238     CW: 154    -  GW: 160  (LOST 81 lbs during 6 mo pre-op diet)
SURGERY DATE: 10/10/2011    
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/11 8:28 am
It might be related to being under anesthesia-the vent/gases, etc.  Is there any color to the discharge?  Thats a bigger question.  Jus****ch it- we are much more prone to pnuemonia after being under GA.  If it persists or there is any color to the discharge, Id call your surgeon simply to have him make a decision on putting you on a round of antibiotics to avoid it draining into your lungs and causing something there.

As far as drinking every 15 minutes?  I am only 2 weeks ut from my surgery, but Ill tell you if I only sipped every 15 minutes I wouldnt get in 1/2 of what I do (and its still not enough!).

Best of luck to you!

Melissa
Bama_Wifey
on 10/12/11 8:34 am - AL
Yes, I didnt mention the color because I knew it was really gross.  But its a yellowish/brownish color.  And like I said, it only does it when I lean/tilt my head.  If its still doing it tomorrow, I will call my surgeon.  Thanks for the reply!
HW: 337  -  Beginning 6 mo pre-op diet: 319 - Consult: 251  -  SW:238     CW: 154    -  GW: 160  (LOST 81 lbs during 6 mo pre-op diet)
SURGERY DATE: 10/10/2011    
D-J
on 10/12/11 10:47 am
I had that too before i left the hospital i thought i was getting a head cold it turned out to be from the nasal oxygen thingy,,it stopped after a couple of days of blowing my nose,,:)
jaranow
on 10/12/11 10:58 am - Middletown, CT
You likely have a partially blocked sinus related to tubes placed during your surgery. It will likely resolve on its own but a nasal decongestant (afrin for no more than 3 days or sudafed) will speed the resolution. I'd first make sure your doctor has no problem with these meds.

Best of luck and congrats!

-Jonathan Aranow, MD
Middletown, CT
Godgaveus2
on 10/12/11 12:27 pm - WI
Hi, I don't have any advice for you. Just wanted to tell you that I had surgery Mon as well. My surgery went well, just in horrific pain. Hopefully better days are to come. Good luck!
jennifer W.
on 10/12/11 12:38 pm
My nurse told me 64oz is a goal. I didn't meet that goal until 5weeks out...which is a bit to long. The nurse said by 4wks out you should be at the goal or just about there. Good luck
 HW: 365  SW: 342  CW: 182

Inch by Inch's Life's a Cinch, Yard by Yard, Life's Hard - Dr.
Madden
hstull1013
on 10/12/11 5:08 pm - AZ
I am a week out and I have still yet to meet 64 oz of fluid or protein. Some days I have been able to get my 60 grams of protien and close to the enough water but every day is a challenge. Today though I have been able to get more water in than I have since surgery. I talked to my nurse and she said that the first few days your insides are swollen so that is why its so hard but as the swelling goes down the easier it will be. I think I am hitting a turning point!

Good luck to you and you will do great.

HW-361, SW 349, CW 299, GW 185  *20 lbs lost pre-op diet*
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics