4 Days Post Op - thoughts on Lansoprazole (liquid prevacid) & Colace

HappyMango
on 10/20/11 11:47 am - FL
I'm not one to typically complain about a medicine and I've choked down some horrid ones in my life but this one...LANSOPRAZOLE (liquid Prevacid)...this one is really really hard for me to take.  It also makes me not hungry for like hours.  Not so good for the freshly out of surgery type of person that I am.  :)

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I figured if someone had suggestions that they have found have worked and I'll go back to my surgeon to ask about...

The Colace is pretty nasty too, mostly because it burns the crap out of my throat but to add it to anything just seems to add to the gross factor.  The doctor states I really need to take it while I'm on the pain meds.

Basically our surgeon has us leave the hospital with:

Liquid Pain Meds  (Roxicet)
Liquid Stool Softener (Colace)
Liquid Prevacid (Lansoprazole)

Anyhow anyone with suggestions on something OTHER than the lansoprazole, I'd appreciate it.  (and even the Colace, lol)

Dave Chambers
on 10/20/11 12:06 pm - Mira Loma, CA
Each surgeon has a slightly different protocol. My surgeon gave me liquid Vicodin for potential pain and Prilosec script for 90 days.  I'm not sure why you got a stool softener this early. Typically many post ops have loose stools during the first few weeks. Colace helps with constipation, but that usually doesn't happen for weeks to come when you're adjusting to solid foods.  Prilosec and Nexium seem to common with many surgeons.  Yes, pain meds can cause constipation, but on a liquid diet or soft foods, it's likely to be only minor constipation.  Good luck. Not every liquid medicine tastes good either.  The liquid vicodin I used was green, but didn't taste too bad. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

SweetLilyAnn
on 10/20/11 2:17 pm - TX
You could ask yoru doc or the pharmacist for sublingual Lansoprazole. I take one sublingual Lansoprazole a day - my doc prescribed it for me(and all of his RNY patients) every day for the first 6 months. Not bad at all....

HW: 328   GW: 164  CW: 159  Height - 5' 8"  
GOAL REACHED 12/15/2012!!!!!!!!!

RNY Surgery Date:  6/21/11  
LBL/BL  - 11/6/2012 Arm Lift with Abdominal Lipo - 12/11/2012 - Dr. Paul PIn
Love me without restriction, trust me without fear, want me without demand and accept me for who I am.         - unknown - 

Terrilmk
on 10/20/11 3:12 pm - SC
 I do Bone marrow transplants and our paients have a tough time with all oral meds when their mucositis is really bad.  They do fine with sublingual prilosec,
 HW 240 SW 224 CW 167          
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 213 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 282 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?