Eating Before Exercise

Nee000
on 10/21/11 12:53 am, edited 10/21/11 12:54 am - MI
What do you eat before you work out?  I am usually pooped by the end of my workout and sometimes, I don't finish my strength training.  My trainer said that I should be eating some complex carbs an hour or so before working out for added energy.  I usually eat some protein, like a protein bar or cottage cheese.  I'm 6 mos out and have been avoiding (as much as I can) carbs like they were the devil.  Also if I start eating carbs will it increase my carb craving?
Kim H.
on 10/21/11 1:36 am - VA
RNY on 07/11/11 with
I have to eat more than protein. I do milk and half a banana or again milk and part of an energy bar (not just a protein bar- must have carbs). I was finding that if I didn't I was too weak, and would get shakey. Now, I have more energy and I can do more. As for the carbs, I don't personally think they're the enemy, I just try to have some to balance out my diet. Like all things, moderation is key.

I am my own hero...I save myself one day, one meal, one bite, one choice, one challenge, one step at a time...
Carla M.
on 10/21/11 3:19 am
RNY on 02/21/11 with
Your body can't survive well without any carbs. It's just a matter of balancing out your diet. Complex carbs and simple carbs aren't your enemy. Only refined carbs should ever be cut out of your diet. Those are the carbs that will definitely make you crave more.

I tend to drink my version of a protein shake before I work out. I don't like any of the powders so I use greek yogurt, a probiotic drink, soy milk, and frozen fruit. It has enough carbs to keep me energized throughout my workout with the added bonus of protein. I eat a protein bar after I work out to help build lean muscle. Protein after a workout is important. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water before, during, and after your workouts.

axlebart2
on 10/21/11 4:56 am - CA
I walk in the noonish hour everyday 4 or more miles..can't seem to get to gym yet because out of energy in the evening (I would like to walk early and do gym at night)...I eat half of a piece of fruit (small piece of fruit) and a half of packet of Malto-Meal thats sugar free and 20/32 oz of water..for some reason if I eat more than that I'll toss it up before 3 pm..then after walk its AMP protein and water or milk! then reg meals I am working nights so my dinner and lunches are about 2/3 hrs later than a normal shift!
Carbs should only come fruit and veggies...
Nee000
on 10/21/11 7:51 am, edited 10/21/11 7:54 am - MI
Thanks for all the replies.  I am no longer totally confused.  I do recall my nut saying that if we eat a carb, we need to add some protein to it.  i.e apple with peanut butter. I usually go straight from work to the gym, so I've gotta find an easy & quick carb to eat prior to my workout.   

Surprisingly, I think about food post opt way more then I ever did pre-op.  My family laughs at me because I carry a lunch bag with me most of the time.  But if I don't, plan and carry some food with me, I will eat the wrong thing.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 2 views
Recent Topics