stricture?

mom2four2011
on 10/25/11 3:29 am
ok so i have had an upper gi and a cat scan and they have said no stricture. HOWEVER i am in so much pain when i drink and i am in so much pain when i eat and that is just with jello or soft food like steamed really soft brocolli. I have been back and forth to the doc and nothing. I wish they would do a scope procedure but they refuse since my other labs and tests are fine. IS IT ME? AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?
lanagirl
on 10/25/11 3:51 am
It's my understanding that a stricture can't be ruled out without a scope. The upper GI can show that liquid is or is not passing through normally, but it can't show what a scope can. Obviously I'm not a Dr, so that is just my experince.  Furthermore, I don't think broccoli is a soft food. If your surgeon is not being helpful, I would personally go back to liquids for a few days to let things rest, just make sure you get your protein in. Then go back to SOFT food like yogurt not veggies. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

axlebart2
on 10/25/11 5:40 am - CA
my surgeon said no Broccoli for 4/6 months out for fear of gas!
so I do not eat..I do eat steamed to mush  cauliflower, carrots, asparagus and zucchini or I dice fine and make a soup in chicken stock with chicken drum sticks or thighs!I might add a yellow potato finely diced also!
 I get bad pain when I eat to fast!!
nduke39
on 10/25/11 6:55 am - FL
I had a stricture and the most tell tale sign was vomiting with everything but fluids.  Anything green can be difficult to digest and cause you to have dumping like symptoms.  I would try going to liquid for a few days and let your pouch take a rest and move to soft food s that are rich in protein.  Stuff that is almost already processed into a pasty like substance.

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/11 5:16 pm - Santa Cruz, CA
I don't see how they can refuse to do an EDG when you have continuing pain on eating.  If you
are getting an ulcer or a stricture, the EDG is the only way I have heard of to actually verify
the formation.

Insist on the EDG;  you are paying for this, after all. 

Best wishes,
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 193 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 115 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?