Frustrated with all the loose skin & pain

AnnabellB
on 11/10/11 11:13 am
I am 2 years out of surgery & frustrated with all the loose skin I have to deal with.  They did not tell me how much there would be.  It is depressing to look in the mirror & see how much weight I have lost only to see TONS of loose skin hanging there.  Naked I do not feel any better about my self than before the surgery.  As before the surgery I still have to hide my body. This SUCKS!!!!

I do not feel good all the time.  The problems I had before surgery are gone thank goodness but I have all new & worse problems now.  I have anklitis spondeloses rheumitoid arthritis & so far I am allergic to the medicines that are used to treat it.  I am in pain all the time & don't enjoy doing much.

Is anyone else having this much trouble after surgery???? 

Annabell
wynter57
on 11/10/11 11:35 am - Panama City, FL
Annabell, I'm so sorry to hear about your arthritis. The loose skin is expected and trust me, I'll have a ton of it by the time I am finished losing. Unfortunately once you have become morbidly obese, there is no getting out of it unscathed. Our bodies will never look as good as someone who has never been overweight. Extra skin has to grow in order to cover all the excess fat we have. I understand how you feel about it, it does suck that we can't get rid of it except through plastic surgery that some of us may or may not ever be able to afford, plus I'm afraid of the pain and possible complications, so who knows. I do however know I'd rather have the ugly excess skin than have all this fat and blubber to carry around!

As far as your arthritis, did they say to you that is a complication of having surgery or would you have gotten it anyway? If you would have gotten it anyway, I'd say that losing the weight still made it better than it would have been if you got this condition PLUS had all that excess weight to carry around.

Hope you can find meds to help you soon.
Wynter
 VBG Surgery 4/17/1989 - Revision TO RNY 8/22/2011 - 4 Days Prior To Surgery WT: 309.5

Ladytazz
on 11/10/11 11:46 am
Who didn't tell you how much loose skin you would have?  Your doctor?  Unless they have a crystal ball there would be no way to predict how things would turn out.  Is plastic surgery possible?
As far as your other problems, were they because of the surgery?  
I'm sorry you are going through all this.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Judy M.
on 11/10/11 1:05 pm
i thought insurance covers plastics if there is a lot of hanging skin as one gets sores so it is medically necessary.
JudiJudi T
on 11/10/11 1:59 pm

Sorry to hear about the skin issues.  If you are having problems with rashes and sores you can document them with your doctor and possibly get a panni or TT.  

Have they tried Enbrel for your AS RA?  My SIL has that form and it's hereditary .. it's not from the surgery.  You probably are better off for having lost the weight though.

Hope things work out for you!  Hang in there.  

Before/after pic in my profile.  
Surgery: Dec 2009, lost 100 lbs

LostInMyself
on 11/10/11 4:42 pm
I have AS and I am sorry you are having so many problems fining relief from the pain. I use Humira and it helps alot. Have you tried any of the biologicals? They are really good for treating AS. Be thankful that you have lost weight because every pound that you lose takes pressure off your back and hips exponentially, and the back and hips is where most people with AS have the most trouble.
As far as the skin goes my attitude is skin without fat in it is much more attractive than skin with fat in it \
I hope you feel better soon, i realy sympathize with your situation.
jeannie

Price S.
on 11/10/11 8:47 pm - Mills River, NC
I'm sorry you aren't doing well.  glad you got rid of the before surgery issues. 

My skin is pretty horrible.  I just don't look at me naked and I look hot in clothes. Yeah, I wore 3/4 lenght sleeves and capris all summer but I wasn't burning up like I would have been fat so it was ok.  When I went on a cruise, I figured I'd never see those folks again, and wore my swimsuit. 

I have osteo arthritus and hoped losing weight would cure my joint issues.  I still have a bad knee and am scheduled for a replacement 11-23.  Can't lose 100+ pounds to be more mobile and have a bad knee.  At least recovery should be a lot easier with that weight gone.

I have found Trameel cream to be amazingly effective in pain relief of my knee.  It is herbal from the health food store and doesn't have NSAIDs so you can use it.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 354 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 452 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 440 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 334 views