Is it just me??? Tummy and spicy foods

curvaceousdiva
on 11/10/11 12:09 am - Hyattsville, MD
i LOVE spicy/hot foods post op.  I can bite thai chilis and add hot sauce scotch bonnet etc to almost everything I eat. 
Do you like or love spicy more postop? Is there a medical reason why I can tolerate it now MUCH better than preop?
Babygirl got her surgery March 3rd...     She's from 339 to 200 as of 6/14/2012.. SOO proud of my bigbabygirl                                                                   
lilbear412
on 11/10/11 12:23 am - MN
 i haven't eaten much spicey food but i do know one of the first things i bought post op was a bottle of hot sauce to make chicken wings with.  So i am craving it.  I never ever ate spicey foods before.. So i have often wondered the same thing..

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Ziggy6363
on 11/10/11 12:50 am - KS
 I can relate to that.... I was told by a lady at a support group I attended in TX (where I've just moved from) that somethings I use to like, I may not care for anymore. Must be the hormonal changes that occurred after surgery is my thought. But hey... if it keeps you in check with the special dietary changes, it should all be good. Besides, chilis (peppers lol) have capsacin which is suppost to give a slight boost to calorie burning. :-)
Tess145
on 11/10/11 1:11 am - Senatobia, MS
 Hi Diva:

I use to love hot and spicy foods but not anymore.  They do not love me back now.  I can barely tolerate black pepper.  I really miss my spicy mexican food.

Tess

Starting Wt 306; Losing Wt 155; Goal Wt 145: Regain Wt 225; Current Wt 157
PS:  FDL Tummy Tuck, Hernia Repair 5/17/12, TT Revision, Butt and Thigh Lift 4/18/13

Hillery82211
on 11/10/11 1:19 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I LOVE spicy foods....both pre and post op.  I think my cravings for spicy and savory foods have increased post-op....I think its related to the fact that my sweet cravings are GONE.  For the first 2 months...almost everything I ate was so sweet that it made me ill to think about it.  Now, things are starting to level off, but I've noticed that it takes a whole lot less to satisfy the sweet taste in me.  For instance, I stopped using sugar in things a long time ago...been using splenda an equal for years.  It used to take me 4-5 packets of splenda for a venti cup of coffee at Starbucks.  Now, 2 packets and its sweet...anymore than that and it's TOOO sweet.
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Kady
on 11/10/11 3:10 am - Lancaster County, PA
Maybe because the RNY eliminates GERD for quite a few people-not everyone though.

It is weird though, I have been craving spicy indian food and had some 2 nights ago and it was the best tasting meal to me since having surgery.  I have been enjoying the leftovers too....

I am making chili tonight...more spice :-)

Tammy G.
on 11/10/11 4:00 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
Pre-op I was a wussy when it came to anything too spicy--now, the spicier the better! I go through a bottle of habanero sauce a week! Jalapenos on everything. Yummy!

Other things I didn't care for before surgery--pickles. I eat a pickle every day. Love saurkraut.

I have forsaken my daily yogurt for a probiotic capsule. I just don't crave the sweet anymore.

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

lilbear412
on 11/10/11 11:53 am - MN
 You have a good point...hillery i am the same way...was sooo sick of sweet stuff from pre and post op that i don't really want sweets.  i was sitting in the checkout line at the store today looking at the candy...no desire for it altho i did pick up some mints.  I get my candy from the calcium chews i eat.  I just got some new ones, the raspberry ones from bariatric choice are soooo good.  Anyways, i grew up in ND...meat, vegies and potatoes and never was anything very spicy at all.  Taco's i ordered no sauce..anything spicy was not eaten..now i really just want spicy stuff and play around a lot more with my food.  lol 

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 294 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 287 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 147 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 220 views