Vitamins

tyvette007
on 11/22/11 11:35 am
I had my 6 month check up and my labs came back.
I wasn't surprised that my iron and Vit D levels are low.
I am currently taking iron 3 times per day.

I was just prescribed Vit D in the green gel caps once per week and Iron.
I explained that the Vit D is not the correct type to take however the nurse is also a bariatric patient and stated that she never heard such a thing.
 I am totally confused I want to do the right thing!!!!
Should I not take these pills?
Is it something in writing that I can show my Doctors/Nurses?

Dave Chambers
on 11/22/11 12:22 pm - Mira Loma, CA
You won't do well with the script D. I went through that 5 years ago. I had an 8 for D post op. I took one of those green softgels 50K IU D2 per week for 24 weeks. 3 sets of labs and the best score I got for D was a 14.  I then tried a liquid vitamin with only 600 IU dry D3 in the dailly dose, and my D rose to a 33 in 5 weeks. I'd go ahead and get the 50k IU dry D3 and begin taking 3 or 4 per week. Save the money on the script D, as it won't work well on post ops.  Do some Googling and you'll be able to find some data. Advice typically seen here is primarily from personal experience, with some studies cited at times. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 11/22/11 12:37 pm - OH
You can show your doctor this: lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/

You can take the Rx if you want.  It will not hurt you, it just won't help.  

If it would make you feel better, you can ask your doc if he/she thinks it would be OK to take the same dose but take dry D3 instead of D2 in oil.

How low is your D, though?  50,000 IU a week, even of dry D3, won't help much if it's low.  I don't know any post op that is able to maintain a good level on less than 10,000 IU D3 a day - and to bring your level up, you're going to need more than that.

What many of us have done is take 50,000 IU dry D3 a day for a couple months, until our level gets up to at least 80.  In order to maintain my level at about 100 - 120, I take 50,000 IU D3 three to four times a week.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tyvette007
on 11/26/11 4:03 am
My labs officially came back. My values are:
Vit D  25.9
Iron    39

poet_kelly
on 11/26/11 5:36 am - OH
Those are both extremely low.  With D, below 80 you are at increased risk for osteoporosis, heart disease and some kinds of cancer.  You are also more likely to get sick because your immune system does not work as well as it would with a higher level.

Are you taking D3 now?  How much?  And what about iron?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tyvette007
on 11/26/11 1:45 pm
Yes. I take both. I take 1000 units of Vit D per day and perfect iron 3 times per day. I do not take them close together.
Maybe I should take the prescription along with what I am taking. Would take be to much???
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 360 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 330 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 193 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 115 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 193 views