help please

Kim2011
on 11/23/11 5:17 am - NC
I just had my surgery on the 21st and was released from the hospital yesterday evening. Since being home I am miserable. I have so much pain (I'm guessing its gas pain) I am walking as much as I can. I am doing fine with water drinking but everytimr I try a protien shake I feel like vomiting. What can I do? Thanks
Dan OBrien
on 11/23/11 5:20 am - FL
Be patient and hang on.  It gets better, and doesn't take long.  Some protein shakes still make me feel like vomitting.  I try now to get my protein through food, but you are only 2 days out.  Be patient.  You just had major surgery, not a magic trick!  Gas pain is the worst and for me the pain meds did not touch that for some reason.

You'll get there.
Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.                                                                         HW: 396 GW:230

dori M.
on 11/23/11 5:32 am - MD
I never had gas pains after surgery but I hear that it is pretty common. As per, the vets on here I hear that Gas X helps.
JohnnyMo
on 11/23/11 5:53 am - Lynchburg, VA
 I had my surgery on the 9th, and I have been having abdominal pain and cramps as well. Last night I got the idea from another post that I could be lactose intolerant. It makes sense since the enzymes that absorb lactose are contained in the bypassed part of the small intestine, so I think that's why my digestive system is in such a reck. I started using soy milk today so we will see if the symptoms go away. 
Good Luck!

poet_kelly
on 11/23/11 6:14 am - OH
If your pain meds aren't helping, call your doc.  Ask him/her to call in a script for something else for pain.

Don't worry much about protein for a few more days.  Take a few sips if you can.  Worry more abou****er, though.  Give yourself another two or three days before you start really working hard on the protein, if you need to.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Colby B.
on 11/23/11 6:24 am - Veradale, WA
Hi Kim,
I just had my surgery on the 21st as well. Came home yesterday and I was experiencing the same thing that you're describing. Late last night I finally was able to pass gas and everything has improved drastically since then. Today Is remarkably better. Hang in there and keep up the walking and water, it WILL get better!

HW: 356, SW: 325, CW: 241, GW: 220
EAP-Fan
on 11/24/11 9:57 am
heating pad worked really good for me relaxes the mussels and then all kinds of dtuff starts ripping out of ya Hot tea always helped me a lot peppermint was the best. good luck
michelle.z
on 11/23/11 6:30 am - Barberton, OH
I had the same thing when I came home 2 weeks ago. I did not pass any gas until I was home a couple of days, and I was told that's common. Hang in there! Once you start getting that gas out you will feel lots better! Just move around as much as you can. I also had a hard time getting those shakes down at times. Sometimes they seemed to want to gurgle back up and it made me a little nauseated. Sometimes I took as long as 2 hours to get one down. But I don't have that problem anymore. Once your digestive system starts working again, things will go a lot smoother. Good luck and feel better!
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
catie
on 11/23/11 6:46 am
I am 5 months out, but I still recall the gas pain. Like many others, the pain medication did not touch the spams and cramping, but walking will help. As soon as you have your first bowel movement, things will improve dramatically. I hope this isn't graphic, as a nurse, I am use to talking straight-forwardly. Good luck and remember, it will pass (literally!)
Kim2011
on 11/23/11 10:53 am - NC
Thanks everyone! I took some gas x and I am feeling better! I was told not to try dairy until 3 weeks out but saw some low carb low sugar chocolate milk. It has the same about of protien as the glucerna. I am able to drink it without problems. I figured that drinking the choc milk will help me add protien without feeling sick. Thanks everyone!
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 323 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 245 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 311 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 86 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 5 replies · 86 views