New kind of pain at 12 days out

JennRose
on 12/2/11 12:12 pm - CA
I've been hurting in a new place since this afternoon & I don't think I'll be able to reach my doctor until Monday...maybe one of you can help me out with what's wrong...

I had my surgery 12 days ago & up until now all of my pain (which is almost gone) has been above my belly boutton, about the same area as my incisions, just on the left. Starting this afternoon I got a sharp pain below my belly button on the same side.

There a couple things I recently changed that I'm worried caused this...

1) Yesterday I transitioned from the full liquid diet to pureed foods. My instructions said to wait to day 14, but I was sooo tired of the liquids & read in a few places that 10 days is the average, so I went for it. I had a scrambled egg white for breakfast & thinned mashed potatoes for dinner. Both went down well & I felt just fine afterwards. Today I had purred chili (made with ground turkey, black beans, & veggies) & again felt fine afterwards.

2) Since I was feeling great today I went to the bank, Target & the grocery store. It was at the grocery store that I first felt the new pain. I thought that maybe I over-did it so I left & came straight home. I was down on the couch for about 3 hores & felt just fine again...until I just got up to go to the restroom & it was back.

Does this sound like something I caused myself? Will it just go away soon? Should I try to call my doctor?
michelle.z
on 12/2/11 1:13 pm - Barberton, OH

I had pain similar to that too, at around the same time. I asked about it at my follow up with my doctor and he said it was just muscle pain from healing. Monday will be 4 weeks for me, and the pain is now gone. But During my second and third week it was really nagging at me. Especially at night when I'd try to get comfortable in bed. I was doing a lot more than I should have been also. I could really tell if I overdid it in a day. If it gets too bad, call your doctor, if for nothing more than just reassurance.
Good luck!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
facethemusic
on 12/2/11 1:40 pm
Does your doctor not take calls on the weekend?  They should have an answering service so you can speak to the surgeon on call.  My policy is if a pain is new or severe I call.  If its something simple like a pulled muscle or gas then great.  However, if it is something serious and you wait things can get bad fast.  Call and leave a message for the surgeon with the answering service and have him call you back.  I would wait until morning since it's so late already.  Surgeon's don't like to be woken up in the middle of the night unless youre dying.  Also if the medication you have isnt managing the pain then you need to call. 

The pain sounds similar to the muscle pain I had around 2 weeks out.  I was taking care of my then 18 month old on my own by then and I way overdid it. They put me on some Flexeril which did the trick.  The reason the pain is worse on the left is because that is the side they insert the cameras and trocars (sp?) on.  They do a lot more to you physically on that side than they do on the right.  I dont' think I've ever met anyone who has had RNY that didnt have left side pain.  It does get better I promise.  It doesnt sound like anything urgent to me, but if you get concerned then call.  That is what they are there for. 

Now to the things you think may of caused this:  Both could cause an increase in pain.

1.  Do NOT advance your diet before recommended.  Yes, 10 days is average but your surgeon wants you to wait 14 days for a reason.  You may feel fine externally, but your insides are still raw and healing.  You don't want to do anything that could irritate them.  I was on clear liquids for 2 weeks, full liquids for 2 and then soft foods finally for 3 weeks.  Please take it easy advancing the diet. 

2.  Running errands could of caused the "stitch" or muscle pain.  Since those muscles are already irritated using them while walking and shopping could of made them worse. 

Until you get in touch with your surgeon I'd take whatever you have for the pain and put some heat on it.  If it is a muscle the heat will help.
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

JennRose
on 12/2/11 1:44 pm - CA
Thanks guys, this really helped. I finally took my pain meds & already feel better. I decided to go back to full liquids for a few more days & definitely take it easy. If it's still bad tomorrow, I'll call the doctor for sure.
facethemusic
on 12/2/11 1:46 pm
I had lots of pain every time I tried to advance my diet on schedule.  I ended up waiting a little longer to advance my diet each time and the pain wasn't there.  So maybe this is your body's way of saying slow down?  I'm glad the pain meds have helped.  I know being on liquids sucks but in the scheme of things you're not on them that long.  I hope youf eel better!
 HW-240, SW-233, CW-158, GW 135 @ 5'3.5"
RNY April 2011, Reversal August 2011.  
I still have a pouch so I'm a hybrid.

tulips52
on 12/2/11 11:54 pm
 Sounds like muscle/nerve pain. I had it throughout my recovery. It will almost go away and then BAM, it'd rear it's ugly head. (even at 6 wks out) My PA said it's very common. At one point, I used a long and wide ACE bandage to bind myself and that really helped. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 218 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 347 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 229 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 130 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics