Carafate for Ulcer?

Kelly L.
on 12/14/11 4:21 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 Booo hoooo. So sad. Apparently I have an ulcer. I will be 7 weeks out on Friday. I have had a lot of trouble with liquids and food. Saw my surgeon on Monday and he is saying I could have a stricture as well as an ulcer. So, while I wait for approval to have an endoscopy I get to take this medicine to help calm my screaming tummy.
DISGUSTING! It's like the final Insult! I have had to swallow things that I never thought I could.. Things that have made me GAG. My meds are ground into dust and lovingly sprinkled across whatever substance can take them in ... and I do it!! I am now to a place where I'm not sure I can stand another thing to swallow. To make it more complicated this medicine has to be taken 1 hour before I eat, but 2 hours after I eat (hmmm thats gonna work well!) Also, I have to wait at least an hour after I take Iron. SOOOOO when exactly can I take this crap?? OHHH and take it 4 times a day.
Incase you are wondering, I am worn out.. feel like dog dooo and now am frustrated beyond belief. Any advice out there to help a girl out?? 

HW 274. CW 129

trapshootgal
on 12/14/11 10:48 pm
 I went through the same thing with an ulcer back in March, so I sympathize with your situation. I spent 14 weeks on Carafate and had the same challenges trying to fit in eating between medicine. I ate a lot of applesauce with medicine sprinkled on it and hemp protein shakes. 
It does get better, slowly, but you'll get there. Do the best you can and make sure to get protein in some form down and vitamins.

I am doing great now, the ulcer is gone, the pain is gone. You will get there too.

Carla M.
on 12/14/11 11:12 pm
RNY on 02/21/11 with
I went through the exact same thing. I thought it was NEVER going to end! You'll do fine. Hang in there! It DOES get better!

Judi J.
on 12/15/11 1:27 am - MN
I have a little ulcer too. I don't think the carafate is that nasty. Mine is orange. Can they flavor it differently?
Kristi D.
on 12/15/11 2:42 am - Buffalo, NY
Yep, I've had to be on Carafate twice now for ulcers.  It is kind of gross, but the good thing is that IT WORKS!  WIthin 2 days or so you will be feeling 100 times better.  Believe me.  When I was on it, I would plan out my day as to exactly when I would eat and when I would take the meds.  For example, I would plan to take the Carafate as soon as I woke up at 7am, eat at 8am, meds at 11am, eat at 12pm, etc.  If you have a plan it won't seem overwhelming.

Kristi

HW:276   SW:255   CW:201  LW:165  GW:140

Kelly L.
on 12/15/11 12:23 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 Thank you for the suggestion of the schedule!! Great idea. I think I am just feeling a little overwhelmed 

HW 274. CW 129

twobabies06
on 12/15/11 3:19 am
I was on it 3 weeks out for an ulcer on a staple.  I also was to take prevacid and sprinkle it on whatever I could, but at that point I wasn't eating anything, just liquids.  The carafate that I had was liquid, it was tolerable for a short time, but I made it through.  The prevacid was not tolerable for me, so I didn't end up taking it.  Once you start taking this, you will feel so much better!  Best of luck!
Kelly L.
on 12/15/11 12:21 pm - San Jacinto, CA
Thanks everyone for the comments. I guess I am just really worn out. Pretty tired of feeling yucky.

HW 274. CW 129

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 7 views