Pre-op Protein Shake

Lucky19
on 12/19/11 2:54 am - OR
RNY on 01/13/12 with
Hey everyone, going to start my 2 week pre-op liquid diet on the 29th where I'll be drinking 3 protein shakes a day.  I have no idea what protein powder to get.  I'm more of a vanilla girl than a chocolate girl.  Any suggestions on a good powder that isn't too expensive?

Thanks.
(deactivated member)
on 12/19/11 3:09 am
I use bariatric advantage and unjury right now.

bariatricadvantage.com

unjury.com

I can also purchase these at my doctors office
rthomas1964
on 12/19/11 3:12 am - Orlando, FL
I got the muscle milk light. It comes in chocolate and vanilla. You can get it at BJ's or Cosco or Sam's for 18 pk for 25.00. I just started using a protein powder I found at the grocery store but it only comes in chocolate. It uis a store brand and doesn't taste too bad. I had my surgery on 12/5/11.
I hope this helps.
Becky

HW: 330 4/2011; pre surgery wt:313; surgery wt: 295

Erin M.
on 12/19/11 3:16 am - VA
 I honestly thought I was more of a vanilla person too, but I have yet to find a vanilla protein powder that I really like. Most of the chocolate ones I have tried are better. They do not have a strong chocolate flavor,  but they tend to "mask" the proteinish flavor better I guess.

I tried the About Time birthday cake powder, and it was ok (and it is really good for you) but it did not have a whole lot of flavor really, but at least it was not overly sweet. This may be good though because it is easy to "alter" the taste of it. No matter what protein powder I use, I almost always alter the taste with either torani sf syrups, extracts, sf pudding mix, or PB2 (which is my favorite).

I would absolutely NOT recommend the Jillian Michaels Pure Protein stuff though. I found it at my local grocery store and decided to try it since it was cheap and honestly can't stomach it. It smells awful and is cloying sweet, but tastes like sour milk at the same time.

Unjury, About Time, and Syntrax (the strawberry mousee was AMAZING IMO) all offer sample packs with individual servings of most of their flavors and I found this very useful. If not only to find one you want to buy in bulk, it also gives you variety. 

My favorite protein powder so far, and the only one I have bought in bulk, is EAS 100% Whey protein chocolate flavor. The chocolate flavor is very mild, it doesn't smell terrible, it mixes up well, and it is easy to tweak the flavor. I doubt I will ever find a powder that I like enough to just drink on its own without adding something.

Good luck and don't get frustrated if you can't find one you really love. You just have to play around with it for a while. 
HW 325
SW 310
GW 175

So ready to start my new life !!!!

sweetmama55
on 12/19/11 4:33 am - GA
I ordered Bariatic Advantage Chocolate, Strawberry, and Orange Creme. The chocolate is good as is the orange cream. I have the orange cream for breakfast and alternate the choc and strawberry during the day. My doctor said he could tell i didn't cheat-he said it was very easy to do my surgery. i almost felt like I didn't even have surgery.
mikjul1
on 12/19/11 5:51 am - bel air, MD
Syntrax nectar, strawberry mousse of choclate truffle is great in skim milk.
Lucky19
on 12/20/11 1:36 am - OR
RNY on 01/13/12 with
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys.
Most Active
Recent Topics