Question on dumping and sugar issues...

Navytown Mom
on 1/3/12 3:05 am
Hello all,

I'm  about 2 1/2 yrs post-op and yes, I know I have had days especially over the holidays that I gave in and had sweets. In particular, ice cream or a piece of pie will do me in...I mean I get groggy-light headed, can't remember what I was saying or what I have done during the episode then I pass out-fall asleep.

I know it must be a form of dumping but I wonder if it's similar to a diabetic coma? 

I have promised myself to try to avoid sweets as much as possible and to take better care of myself this year. However, has anyone else had this feeling? I mean it was almost like I was drunk but instead of alcohol, it was from sweets.

TIA,
Susan

Kim S.
on 1/3/12 3:20 am - Helena, AL
Yup.  It is a form of dumping....it is the carb coma.  I get it from too much sugar, and especially ice cream.  I also get the racing heart and I get really hot.  I feel drunk and cannot keep my eyes open.

After it passes, I then get the sugar crash and I get the shakes.....and get light headed. 

It doesn't happen all the time with sweets, and sometimes I can eat something fine, and next time it gets me.

AND as many times as it HAS happened....you'd think I'd stay away...but alas, I still indulge occasionally!!

Kim

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/3/12 5:29 am - Windsor, Canada
Could be. Sounds to be like you are now hypoglycemic. Most of us get diagnosed at that 2 year mark.   If you are getting groggy/light headed and pass out, it could very well be that you are getting such low blood sugar (after spiking from the sugars, your blood sugars drop too low) and you could pass out or have a seizure.

Get a blood sugar monitor and test yourself the next time that happens.  Ask for your family doctor if you do not have one to see if you can get a prescription for it.  This can be a very serious thing if you were to pass out say, while driving a car for instance.

Once you figure this out, it can be for the most part, very manageable.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active
Recent Topics